Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what brand headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what brand headers

hi i was going to get a set of lt's for my z. i was looking at pacesetters or hookers. are the both both the same quality?
i have a random tech exaust with stock y pipe and cats and i was thinking about a tsp dual set up with spiral flows[ members say that they are the more quiet ones and i dont want it real loud. will it be much louder than the car is now?
my cuzz has a 05 gt stang with hooker lt's off road x pipe and flow cat back and his car sounds good but is realy loud [to loud for me]

thanks guys
Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

most people here will just tell you to search, but I'll give you my opinion

My research told me that the coated pacesetter headers are the ones to get unless you want to spend the extra $ and get some stainless ones like Kooks or QTP?.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i hear pacesetters are good but hooker has been around for years so if i had the money i had the extra money and had to choose between the two i'd get the hookers. but for the price, get the pacesetters.

or you can fork it out and get qtp's or kooks
Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with my Hooker headers and they tuck up really nice.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Look at Edelbrock as well.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have jet-hot (very very similar to hooker) and they fit real well and not problems at all
Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kooks and QTP's...maybe hookers if you are going budget.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

I have installed two sets of pacesetter headers in a 98z -02z and they fit real good and no leaks.Best bang for the buck.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pacesetters are a great buy at that!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

tsp... pacesetters and ory package for $500.. cant beat it
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

If you want them to look good forever, get the QTP...Price may seem a little high, but i think only 100$ more than coated hookers...But they fit like stock, and are stainless...plus they make the most power
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

If you want them to look good forever, get the QTP...Price may seem a little high, but i think only 100$ more than coated hookers...But they fit like stock, and are stainless...plus they make the most power
Old 02-04-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats up man, i had a set of hookers on my 2000 z28. i had no problems with it at all. the only thing i had bad was the 02 sims were crap. but no issues, fit was great. i noticed mad sotp hp difference!! and also really good throttle response. but from all the reading i have the pacesetters are the best budget wise. everybody raves about qtp and kooks just because its stainless, but you can get 2 sets of pacesetter headers for 1 set of qtp and kooks!!! just my .02 cents...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
whats up man, i had a set of hookers on my 2000 z28. i had no problems with it at all. the only thing i had bad was the 02 sims were crap. but no issues, fit was great. i noticed mad sotp hp difference!! and also really good throttle response. but from all the reading i have the pacesetters are the best budget wise. everybody raves about qtp and kooks just because its stainless, but you can get 2 sets of pacesetter headers for 1 set of qtp and kooks!!! just my .02 cents...
And as said before you will replace them that many times if you keep the car.

I would recomend atleast getting the Edelbrocks. The hookers are nice too, but the HVMC on the Race version of the edelbrocks has me sold on them, as far as a budget goes. You can get the Edelbrocks for 510-525 with Y pipe shipped depending on where you go. If you only wana do headers once, get a set that will last forever, and make the best power. QTP gets my vote over the kooks, but i have yet to personally do a comparison with those two on the same car. But then again the QTPs are only $724 from many places.

Ive Helped install a set of QTPs on a buddies car, another friend got a set of the Edelbrocks, those are going on next week. And yet another friend ordered Hookers, against our suggestions. We will be having all the cars dynoed at some point, and tuned, ill be sure to post up some dynographs when it goes down
Old 02-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

^ well said...I would have gone with the edelbrocks if they had more of a bling factor, and the thought that the coating *MIGHT* come off kept me away...
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
And as said before you will replace them that many times if you keep the car.

I would recomend atleast getting the Edelbrocks. The hookers are nice too, but the HVMC on the Race version of the edelbrocks has me sold on them, as far as a budget goes. You can get the Edelbrocks for 510-525 with Y pipe shipped depending on where you go. If you only wana do headers once, get a set that will last forever, and make the best power. QTP gets my vote over the kooks, but i have yet to personally do a comparison with those two on the same car. But then again the QTPs are only $724 from many places.

Ive Helped install a set of QTPs on a buddies car, another friend got a set of the Edelbrocks, those are going on next week. And yet another friend ordered Hookers, against our suggestions. We will be having all the cars dynoed at some point, and tuned, ill be sure to post up some dynographs when it goes down
No offense,but reading you post you dont even appear to own headers,but yet are suggesting what to buy.Also,why would you suggest against Hookers.Do you have any experience with them.Or just hearsay!Tons of people run them and when they first came out they were so popular Jethot started making knockoffs and fixed the little things people were complaining about.Like the o2 location.They are a very good header and fit better than most of the exspensive headers.

All headers only vary by a few horse power.Mostly depending on your cubic inches/setups.Most strokers run 1 7/8" headers with merge collectors.While most smaller motors only need 1 3/4".

In my opinion,buy the best headers you an afford for the climate you live in.I live in the desert so I just got black coated.I just took them off for heads and they sill look great and have been on for 4+ years.Some supposed coated headers fall apart in the midwest.So just research.

Bottom line there is always going to be a "new flavor of the month"

Like when Hookers came out,then Jethots,Kooks,Qtps,Pacesetters and Edelbrocks the list goes on and on.Whatever is newest is what people want.There's always going to be bandwagons.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll be very happy with hookers. i had no problems at all.. and from what ive read, your ceramic coating should be fine depending on where you live. and still 2 sets of pacesetters are cheaper than 1 set of kooks or qtp.. like everybody else i wanna see a straight dyno comparison between qtp/kooks vs. pacesetters or hookers i bet they will be really close.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have hookers and like them