LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sucked up water?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucked up water?

Alright, it was raining very hard earlier today and I had to drive in it. Well, I noticed the car was running a little weird in the rain, but nothing to really worry about. (The idle just seemed a little low) As I was driving the whole road became a big puddle and I hit it. The passenger side got a lot of water under it, but of course the bottom of the motor must of got soaked. As soon as I hit the puddle nothing happened. I drove down to the next light and when I started to accelerate from the line, I noticed the car was sputtering a bit. It was kind of awkward and I just didn't want to accelerate, because I knew it wasn't normal. So, I took it back to the house slowly not letting the car get out of second gear. I turned the car off and waited a couple of mins, then turned it back on. When I turned the car back on, it sounded fine. I reved it and it seemed ok, but I noticed the idle was still low. (not any different from before I hit the puddle)

The opti has been replaced within 10 month or so. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm going to go out and check on it and drive it. I'll let you know what it does.

If I did suck up water in my CAI, what kind of problems would I notice?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like maybe the opti just a little wet. If you're still driving it, it's probably fine. I would think that if you sucked a lot of water into your motor, that you would be calling a tow truck. I'm not real sure what water would do to it, but a little will just burn off. A little water in the fuel will make it run like **** for a while but it almost always comes back to life with better fuel. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgable can answer your question better but I think you're fine.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I let the car sit for a few hours and then took it around the block. The car ran fine and it seemed normal. I even got on it a little bit to make sure. Maybe the opti did get wet, who knows... I'm just glad it was nothing serious. I'm going to clean my CAI when it stops raining.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

what kind of air induction do you have, my t/a has the slp cold air intake that is through lower panel on the drivers side. when driving on the street i keep the spash panel in when i go to the track it comes out it sound like you just sucked water into the air induction just drive and keep your ear on it
Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Hey Jay, if you think you might have sucked up water DO NOT SHUT YOUR CAR OFF. You need to let the water vaporize. If you shut the car off with water still in it, the car will most likely not start again.

Anyways, you might have gotten a little water into the car, but it evaporated before it could do anything. If the car is driving normal, don't worry about it.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

probablly got the opti. wet but it should dry out and be fine. if the car had sucked up alot of water through the CAI, and into the engine it could possibly hydraulic a cylinder. you would know it if this had happened!! it would probably bend a con. rod and start knocking. i'm sure your cars fine.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove it to and back from work last night and everything was fine. I started the car up again this morning and no problems. I'll be sure to drive in the middle of the road next time, if it's raining hard.

Quick Reply: Sucked up water?