Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd pilot bearing TRASHED on C5! whats happening?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd pilot bearing TRASHED on C5! whats happening?!?

hey guys looking for some advice on my clutch problem on my C5. im a member of the corvetteforum but dont get much help over there when it comes to "technical" stuff!!

anyways....

long story short... blew up stock clutch. installed spec 3 plus. broke it in for about 500 miles, things felt good. then developed a bad vibration in the shifter. took it all back apart, found the pilot bearing was trashed. took clutch assembly out, and brought it to a shop and had them "neutral" balance it. got the car back together last weekend, felt GREAT for about a day or two.... now the vibration is back, small, but slowly getting worse.

whats going on?! only thing i can think of is either the clutch itself is messed up, or the torque tube is messed up. but the torque tube was fine before i blew stock clutch.

ive done some reading on here about the "brass bushing" style pilot bearing. im thinking about trying this to see what happens. only thing i worry about is the bushing style just being a "band-aid" fix for a bigger problem

just frustrated, and at a loss. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by C5 KIDD; 02-03-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah are at wits end on this one. Can't seem to figure it out.
We willing to rip it apart and install the bronze bushing, but like as brian mentions.. we don't want a band aid. Then some else gets trashed....

hmm...
Steve
Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Input shaft could be slightly bent causing accelerated wear on the pilot bearing.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Teching In

If you have done any hard launches recently the mainshaft could be bent too. I just found this out recently the hard way that it WILL affect the pilot bushing/bearing.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

their should be a sticky, about the pilot bearings, just go w/ the solid bushing and call it a day, the oem one w/ needel bearings gets torn appart
Old 02-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bad6as
their should be a sticky, about the pilot bearings, just go w/ the solid bushing and call it a day, the oem one w/ needel bearings gets torn appart
thanks for the simple advice. if your so smart, then what changed thats causing the pilot bearing to get trashed?? 98% of us run around with the roller style bearing with NO problem. i just installed a spec 3 in my buddies FRC with 450rwhp N/A. his bearing is fine.

look, not trying to be an idiot, and trust me... i pray that its only a matter of changing to the bushing style that will solve my problem. just wanted a little input before i pull the car apart AGAIN!

Input shaft could be slightly bent causing accelerated wear on the pilot bearing.
that def. could be the case, but there is really no way to figure that out. dont really want to have to replace the whole torque tube if possible. hopefully it doent come down to that. thanks for the input!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Teching In

A bushing wont solve your problem but it wont fubar your input shaft like the bearing will. The bushing will still be hogged out. BTW the input is over 250 bux IIRC. There are MANY cars running with ruined bearings and hogged bushings without even knowing it.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

my car was tock for 78k no problems then it started to grind in 4th then poping outta 4th. my pilot bearings center was gone. just the outter part was left. and it dident make any noise. t56joe pointed me to the bushing and i belive in what he says

Quick Reply: 2nd pilot bearing TRASHED on C5! whats happening?!?