Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Experts needed ASAP: motor for my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experts needed ASAP: motor for my turbo

Now that the PTK install is almost complete, dyno time and loss of boost up top revealed a #7 cylinder leak. I'm ready to cry like a little girl.

So I need to make a decision on a new motor... cause I'm not terribly interested in having my current 80,000 mile motor rebuilt.

I want minimum down time; I'm near the end of my patience anyway. So I need a motor soon that will work with:

PTK T67 0.96 A/R, Griffin FMIC, Alkycontrol progressive methanol injection, twin pumps to upgraded fuel rails, 60 lb injectors. 78 mm FAST intake, AFR 225's at 72cc. This is in a '98 TA with M6.

The goal is 600+ rwhp/rwtq.

I need to keep the cost down. And I'm leaning toward LS1 vs. LS2 to keep the replacement/fitment with the PTK simple.

What are the smart choices available for blocks with forged pistons (I'm fine with stock crank) that I can get quickly for reasonable cost?

I really appreciate any help.

Rich
Old 02-04-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fastest to get you back on the road would be a low compression forged build.
if your short on cash you could just do some low CR forged pistons reusing the stock rods (just use APR rod bolts), or if you can swing it put some desent rods in there as well. try for 9-8.5:1 CR
Old 02-04-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks... anyone with a good experience recently on getting a new block fast, please chime in...

Is it worth it to pay for a new block as opposed to a "reconditioned" block?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm running a 2001 Z06 block, stock crank, and custom Diamond pistons that bring my compression down to around 8.25:1. I'd go with basic forged rods, forged pistons, stock crank, and 3.905 pistons. If you can get a block cheap then cool, because then maybe you can sell yours if it's not messed up or return it as a core.

I'd go LS2 if you are going to push it, and run a ton at the track.