Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Unplug Alternator Exciter Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How To Unplug Alternator Exciter Wire

Doing poly motor mounts today. I got the alternator unbolted but I can't get the small red wire on top out. It looks like it goes into a large plastic piece on the alternator that I can hardly see or reach. Is it just the wire that comes out or does the whole plastic piece come out? Does either have clips that must be depressed?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be very careful with that wire,if you brake it you be up ***** creek your car will not charge.I used a very small screwdriver .Release the cilp by pushin it toward the firewall and pull it up.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, just unclip it from the back. that connector is so big because it was originally designed to hold more than one wire.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm one of the broken wire guys so I made a J out of a thick coat hanger.Its about a foot long.I just slide it behind the plug and lift the clip up/out now.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys,

I was able to just set the alternator on the sway bar without unplugging it. Man what a pain - it took me 7 hours to do just the driver's side. I will do the passenger's side in a couple of weeks.

Deffinitely necessary for me. My mounts were completely shot allowing the motor to move a good inch. Contact with the K member was starting to dent my headers.

Steve