Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

DR's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DR's?

I was looking at nittos, 555R, so I called my semi local dealer and heres what happened
I called my local nitto dealer and he didn't even let me get a price check on them. he said he wasn't impressed with them and that I "can't" run a DR with my stock performance tire upfront. I have Fuzion ZRi's upfront. He said since the front tires have a higher speed rating and the rear DR's have a lower one the car could loose stability and i could loose control. He said I need to "figure out what I need to do" and that was about it...

he was a ****, so i want to know what you think?

anybody heard of this? I'm sure plenty of people run DR's all the time out back and regular tires upfront?

He pissed me off so much that I think I'm going to go with M/T ET streets

heard of this problem? or is he full of crap?

The M/T's are actually cheaper than the 555R's, and people seem to say they grip better?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

And local businesses wonder why they are losing business to internet sales....what a shame.....

Many people run DR's on back and street tires on front.....on paper I'm sure it isn't as safe as a street tire, but don't drive like an idiot and you will be fine. Or if you are worried, take some diff rims / tires to the track.

M/T's hook better then 555r's IMO, they will be glad to take out your rear end on the first launch with them
Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Well, from a technical standpoint it may be some sort of obscure liability issue for him to outfit your car with those tires, but truthfully I don't see why they would put up a fight about it.

Plenty of people run drag radials with higher speed rated tires. Hell I ran nitto drags with zr rated tires up front, no problems.

Get the nitto drags. Tell him to stfu and put on your tires. You'll love them I wish I had a set now, I'm running F1 supercars and they blow ***
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

not true not true...im still running treet tires up front with 555r's and they only have 50%traction left. im doin fine...knock on wood...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

he was talking about radial forces and everything else, and i'm a 4th year mechancial engr major and it seemed like all bs for what he was saying

the only way i see it would be a problem is if I exceeded the rating on the DR's, b/c the fronts would still be okay

but hell i don't see myself going any faster than 11's anytime soon. I aint goina worry

I see you guys prefer the nittos over the M/T's? why? I'm basically just looking for something to last me this summer, i'm straped for cash
Old 02-04-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

what is this nitto NT-01? is that goina be horrible on the street? get like 20 passes and 10 miles lol
Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Hurm,

I think I might just get some different rims and a set of slicks

I heard prostar is coming out with the correct offset for our cars? anybody heard of this?

and what will a set of rims and slicks for the back cost me?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

The nittos are all around great tires. They don't suck in the rain which is rare for a drag radial and they are priced very competitively. I got a set of 315s for like 160/each shipped a while back.

I think the MTs have a much shorter life, as do the BFGs. You probably can't get more than like 8k miles out of them, especially if you are racing. The nittos tend to put up near 12-15k miles.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Hurm,

I think I might just get some different rims and a set of slicks

I heard prostar is coming out with the correct offset for our cars? anybody heard of this?

and what will a set of rims and slicks for the back cost me?
It all depends on what wheels you go with. Check out summit racing. They have very good prices and you'll get a fair idea of what you'll be paying.

You can look in the FS section here, but drag wheels usually sell extremely quick so you have to be fast to get ahold of some.

I bought my entire set of draglites here on tech for like 500 if I remember correctly. Then I spent about another 400 for all 4 tires mounted and balanced.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I might go with the Nittos, but the 555RII's, that way with the stiffer side wall it'll still handle well on the street/corners
Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

if you want a tire that hooks up get a MT or BFGoodrich DR. if you want a tire to last for a while and still hook up decently get the 555Rs