LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad lifters?

What kind of sounds do bad lifters make? Ive been told I might have them. When I start the car it is pretty much fine, but when it warms up, there is a very fast ticking sound. Mostly at idle. There is no loss in power, the only thing that is felt is a little bit of a slower throttle response. Lifters?, or something else.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

most lt1's make a ticking sound, it's normal, someone once said that theres sounded like a sewing machine, best way to describe it that I have heard. but check the valve lash and make sure that they are set right.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

This might not help your case but we had a roller lifter go bad in a 540 on a drag car. Made some weird sound for about 3 weeks, kind of a cackle... we thought a header tube had busted but eventually it came apart about the 1000 ft. mark. There was no ticking but I've never heard of any other cases of lifters coming apart in any other motors or the symptoms attached.

It also didn't effect how the car ran/performed at all but again it's a completely different animal.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah i wanna get it checked out, could it be a bad cap and rotor?, or a misfire? Thats the only other thing i can think of. I really wanna fix it, in case it will hurt my motor. But mostly it just pisses me off, cause it sounds like ****, at least to me.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

i have a bad lifter. it makes a ticking noise at start up and once it warms up it goes away. someone told me once they get primed from oil they are normal. i reset my valve lash and it still makes the noise but it goes away quicker. i am gonna set them again when i get the chance.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

mine is doing the same ...the longer it runs the worse it gets.i have checked all the rockers and none are loose...so if you figure it out let me know too.

Quick Reply: Bad lifters?