General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

prolonging my storage...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prolonging my storage...

hey everybody, i put my car in for storage last september, and i usually take it out in mid april/may here in detroit. But because of money issues, im gonna have to keep it in till probuly the following april/may. I gotta get the tranny rebuilt and it's gonna cost a pretty penny. so i did all the neccesary stuff to the car. changed the oil, put in some stab-il, and cleaned the whole car inside and out. Will i need to do anything different then i would do for 1 year than going for 2 years? A buddy at work said i should atleast start it up, but i don't think thats a good idea. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Brian
Old 02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

There are different opinions on this topic.

Personally, I'd say that it's a good idea to run the motor at least a few times during storage just to put the rings in a different spot on the cylinder walls. Also, to allow some oil to flow back to the top of the motor. In addition, running the motor gives me a chance to run the A/C system as well, so the seals stay lubricated. 2 years without running is a long time.

I don't think you'll get much oil contamintaion or moisture from running it very seldom. And if that does concern you, just change the oil after every few times you run the motor (but I'd say that's overkill).

I always run mine about 2-4 times during winter storage, for the above mentioned reasons. Been doing that for years, never causes a problem. I put no more than 200 miles on fresh oil before I put it in storage, and I change the oil again within about 200-300 miles of bringing it out of storage.....
Old 02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stabil
Old 02-05-2006, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Stabil

What's wrong with stabil? I've been using it for years, always works great.....no knock even with 6-8+ month old gas.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just leave it, my personal opinion on starting it for a few minutes is not good, the car will never get up to operating temperature which will lead to condensation both in the engine/exhaust. Leaving it sit is never any good but unfortunately up here in the north it has to be done. Now if you mean drive it for a 10-15 miles to really get stuff warm than thats fine but from your post i'm guessing its not gonna move.

I usually over inflate the tires (if it’s not on jack stands) so the tires don't flat spot. Open all the doors and hatch and leave them on the first click so the gaskets don't take a set. Fill the tank and put some fuel stabilizer to avoid as much of that moisture build up as possible. You could pull the plugs and inject some oil into the cylinders but on our cars we know that’s a pain. And last I wash/wax the car install the cover and usually put a piece of plastic under the car to keep moisture from coming through the concrete and onto the underside of the car. The last one is for those who are meticulous about their cars (like me) and don’t drive them in rain/snow etc. trying to keep them as pristine as possible.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:44 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

What's wrong with stabil? I've been using it for years, always works great.....no knock even with 6-8+ month old gas.
I was being serious! Just didnt hear anything about it in the first 2 posts. I have used it before, and use it in the lawnmower over the winter.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Talking

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I was being serious! Just didnt hear anything about it in the first 2 posts. I have used it before, and use it in the lawnmower over the winter.
LOL... it was in his first post, you missed it:

Originally Posted by millionride
put in some stab-il