LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Damn, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damn, what should I do?

I have a small header exhaust leak at the manifolds....But I don't know what to do...There is no bolt in the last bolt hole because I accidentally cross threaded it while putting in the new header bolts, and I can't get it in more than half way. What do you guys suggest? I don't have the money to have someone repair it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blind527
I have a small header exhaust leak at the manifolds....But I don't know what to do...There is no bolt in the last bolt hole because I accidentally cross threaded it while putting in the new header bolts, and I can't get it in more than half way. What do you guys suggest? I don't have the money to have someone repair it. Any suggestions?
I know it's a tight fit, have the same year, but if you could get a matched tap and very carefully just clean up the cross thread (bottom tap vs tapered is best). Best would be to drill/heli-coil it but that's all fine and dandy when you have an engine on the stand, in our cars everything is a pain to get to.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
I know it's a tight fit, have the same year, but if you could get a matched tap and very carefully just clean up the cross thread (bottom tap vs tapered is best). Best would be to drill/heli-coil it but that's all fine and dandy when you have an engine on the stand, in our cars everything is a pain to get to.
I don't have access to a tap, I would if I lived with my dad back in Chicago! I have I doubt I would be able to get one in there due to the fact the #8 primary is SO close to the bolt hole. Maybe I should take it somewhere to see if they will tap it. How much would that "normally" cost a shop to do?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have access to a tap, I would if I lived with my dad back in Chicago! I have I doubt I would be able to get one in there due to the fact the #8 primary is SO close to the bolt hole. Maybe I should take it somewhere to see if they will tap it. How much would that "normally" cost a shop to do?
just to tap it they wouldn't charge much, less than $50 maybe if they could get to it. You could buy a tap at your local hardware store, just thread match. #8 has a hellacious bend though and your right it's probaly not going to fit.

Somebody else pipe in here, but if it were me I'd undo that side of the headers to the head, also at the collector, drop it down, move it forward or backwards until you can fit a tap in their at the correct angle to clean the threads. But I'd go ahead and heli-coil it if I made enough room for access. This will allow you to torque it properly. You probably know what a leaking hearder can do.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

just to tap it they wouldn't charge much, less than $50 maybe if they could get to it. You could buy a tap at your local hardware store, just thread match. #8 has a hellacious bend though and your right it's probaly not going to fit.

Somebody else pipe in here, but if it were me I'd undo that side of the headers to the head, also at the collector, drop it down, move it forward or backwards until you can fit a tap in their at the correct angle to clean the threads. But I'd go ahead and heli-coil it if I made enough room for access. This will allow you to torque it properly. You probably know what a leaking hearder can do.
Man, I hate problems. I'll talk to f-body central and see if I can drop off my car when I visit my GF to see if he could give me a quick estimate on tapping it or heli-coiling. I can see the smoke, and smell it. I KNOW it's gotta be from that area, common sense points me there.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Man, I hate problems. I'll talk to f-body central and see if I can drop off my car when I visit my GF to see if he could give me a quick estimate on tapping it or heli-coiling.
your call man, I'd do it myself and save some $$$, heli-coiling isn't difficult, they sell the kits at AutoZone, get in the zone man, this is a 3 hour repair max, chooo can do it mon!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

your call man, I'd do it myself and save some $$$, heli-coiling isn't difficult, they sell the kits at AutoZone, get in the zone man, this is a 3 hour repair max, chooo can do it mon!
I'll see what I can do. Since I'm in college, time is hard to come by. I'll check out some kits. Do I just get heli-coil inserts? I'm not too excited about dropping the headers down, but whatever will help. I'll see maybe if I can get new gaskets too.

Quick Reply: Damn, what should I do?