LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking for budget short block

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question looking for budget short block

allright guys, I need some help. I am looking to get a budget short block lt1. I want to do a big cam with appropriate torque converter, afr heads, and some bolt ons. I plan to keep it NA, so I don't think that I need forged internals. Probably be buying after my tax money comes back. I just want to know who has good prices.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For a budget shortblock you are sticking with a stock crank right? In which case AFR makes exactly NOTHING useful for you. Do research THEN pick parts not the other way around. If staying with a 350-355 you want to use ported stock castings, unless maybe you want to go aftermarket engine management and rev well past 7000rpms, but there goes the whole budget thing again.

If your motor is in decent shape and milage does not tend to hurt these things so it is probably fine. Just look at a heads and cam package from Advanced Induction, Lloyd Elliot, Lingenfelter, Combination Motorsports or any one of several others listed on the right side of your screen.

Even IF AFR made something useful too you it would still be a bad idea because they use LT4 intakes which are no longer available and the price is spiking out of control.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Let me clarify, the engine is currently disassembled and I lack the knowledge (or friend that could help me) to do the bottom end. I thought to buy a preassembled short block would end up being cheaper than having machine work and assembly done at the shop. It may be cheaper to have a shop put the whole engine together, I am unsure. But this is why I ask for your help, as I am not sure. Also plan to keep stock crank size. I had heard that AFRs were good that's the only reason that I was going to use them, but I am not set on the heads. If you think ported stock castings would be the way to go for my setup, I will take your advice.

The car has been sitting for over 2 years. I just need to get the damn thing running soon.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

probably be cheaper to have a shop put it back together.
you could build a 355 for pretty cheap, have them use the stock crank and rods, and just put some new hyper. pistons in it.
the heads work will cost more then the bottom end.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock heads are VERY good once ported and can be made to flow more than most of us could ever begin to fully utilize especially on a near stock displacment. Let the head porter spec the cam.
blkchevyz is right too you could spend more on the heads than what you will on the shortblock, heads and cam are what make the power though so it is worth it. Roughly where are you located maybe someone can recommend a shop near you to put your motor back together.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I am in Oklahoma City. I've heard good things about Extreme Performance. Anybody have an opinion on them?

Quick Reply: looking for budget short block