Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone familiar w/ the installation process of brakes and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar w/ the installation process of brakes and rotors?

I just got some new brakes and rotors in, and could use some advice/help installing them. I've heard it's pretty easy to install them on the C5s, but it's good to have someone who's done it before to help you out. With that in mind, I'm not too worried about just going on and doing them, but would rather not take the chance on forgetting something small that would make a big difference. Thanks in advance guys. :thumbs:

Just for reference, these will be going on:

Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure you put the left rotor on the left side and right rotor on the right side.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW, nobody?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tru_ice
WOW, nobody?
You posted this less then 12 hours ago.....give it a day or so for people to see it/respond. :shrug:

As for me, I have never done brakes so I would hate to screw up your car.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors and pads are really easy to do... the only special tool you need really is a C-clamp for pushing the brake caliper piston back so its flush with the caliper again. It pushes out as you get less and less material on your brake pads. If you're still on the stock brakes and have never changed them, the pistons probably will have to be pushed back in to get your new pads to fit.

After you get your new stuff on, then you'll want to bleed the brakes. That is fairly tedious, and is much easier with a person to help push the brake pedal while you loosen the bleeder screw. Just make sure while you're bleeding that you keep the reservoir full of fluid, because you do not want the master cylinder to run dry.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Rotors and pads are really easy to do... the only special tool you need really is a C-clamp for pushing the brake caliper piston back so its flush with the caliper again. It pushes out as you get less and less material on your brake pads. If you're still on the stock brakes and have never changed them, the pistons probably will have to be pushed back in to get your new pads to fit.

After you get your new stuff on, then you'll want to bleed the brakes. That is fairly tedious, and is much easier with a person to help push the brake pedal while you loosen the bleeder screw. Just make sure while you're bleeding that you keep the reservoir full of fluid, because you do not want the master cylinder to run dry.
Ditto...it's about as straight forward as you can get. Just unbolt the caliper bolts. I think they're 12mm. Then the caliper assembly comes up, the rotor slides off and the new one goes on.

Nate
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Ditto...it's about as straight forward as you can get. Just unbolt the caliper bolts. I think they're 12mm. Then the caliper assembly comes up, the rotor slides off and the new one goes on.

Nate
Yeah, well that what I thought, but the part that worries me is torque-ing to spec, bleeding, locktite, and sh*t falling off. I guess I'll figure it out.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

You don't have to rebleed the brakes if you don't want to if you are just doing pads.. Pretty much Tranzor summed it up pretty good. Basically take caliper off, push pistons in, take rotor off, put new rotor on, put new pads in and reinstall caliper.. Dual pistons can be a little tricky, so have a piece of wood that you can put over both pistons to push them both flush.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well at least it seems I'm not alone. 45 views, and only 3 ppl w/ some helpful advice. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I'd add one thing just to be safe,use a piece of wood to protect the caliper piston from the c-clamp.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to do a good job you need to add the following. Pull the caliper pin's out and clean them and inspect them for wear. Same for the place the Pad's ride. If they are worn they will need replaced.

If every thing is good then you will want to re-grease them with High temp grease for Brakes.

This step will make sure your brakes wear even and are as quiet as they will get.

Many people skip or are not even aware of this step. It can cause many issues

Good luck man!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tru_ice
Well at least it seems I'm not alone. 45 views, and only 3 ppl w/ some helpful advice. Thanks guys.
tranzor wrote it straight forward. Not much more to it than that. I have an fbody and my guess is so do a lot of the 45 views. But in reallity there pro'lly really isnt much difference since c5 brakes will fit fbods with the correct bracket. But I dont know if vettes have wheel bearings to think about so I wouldnt offer help as I dont know wtf your front end looks like. So my only advice would be to get a Hanes for your car, but that might not be what you want to hear. I consult both when I do work on my car. Mechanics and the manual.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
If you want to do a good job you need to add the following. Pull the caliper pin's out and clean them and inspect them for wear. Same for the place the Pad's ride. If they are worn they will need replaced.

If every thing is good then you will want to re-grease them with High temp grease for Brakes.

This step will make sure your brakes wear even and are as quiet as they will get.

Many people skip or are not even aware of this step. It can cause many issues

Good luck man!
Great point !! Pins are always overlooked and cause a lot of problems when frozen or sticky.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude breaks are the easiest thing you can do on a 4 wheel disc brake car even if you have to bleed them. I would be willing to help one afternoon if you have never done them. I hated doing the drums on my 71 K-5 that sucked!

I want to reiterate what Ellis said about the pin...Clean them, grease them, maybe just replace. I lost a Front rotor, caliper and bracket on my 98 Z28 due to bad pin.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have the Caliper tool to compress the piston back into the caliper.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah about what Ellis said, Volvo makes some good pink brake grease.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
Yeah about what Ellis said, Volvo makes some good pink brake grease.
Alright, there's the feedback I've come to love from this forum. Thanks guys.

Go Seahawks!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry bro, I don't know **** about putting brakes on. I aint gonna act like I do!

Have you even got that damn LSX intake and TB on yet? What about the cylinder heads?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Sorry bro, I don't know **** about putting brakes on. I aint gonna act like I do!

Have you even got that damn LSX intake and TB on yet? What about the cylinder heads?
That's cool. Nope not yet, still getting everything together. Should be ready to go in w/in the next 2 weeks. Just need cosmetic gaskets, and SLP pulley and the package is complete. I'm hoping to put down 430-440rwhp through the A4.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar w/ the installation process of brakes and rotors?