Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2.73 gears in a 12 bolt?? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2.73 gears in a 12 bolt?? Is it possible?

With all the talk about WOT shifts to 4th (OD) and there always seems to be talk about using kick down @ WOT in 4th also can cause damage. I'd probably prefer to run higher gears to give me a greater speed range.

I like the fact that with my 2.73 rear I can top 158mph in 3rd. But I also know the 10 bolt won't last forever. However the highest gear listed for any of the 12 bolts appears to be 3.42 and this only gives a 134mph top speed in 3rd.

does anyone know can you get 2.73 in a Moser/Strange 12 bolt?

Or is WOT driving really not all that bad if you leave the transmission in 4th?

If I had a manual I'd go for 4.10's and in terms of accelaration 3.73's would be about bang on for an auto. But I don't want to break the tranny and I also want the ability to run to 150mph+ at WOT without any hassel.

What are your thoughts on this??
Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have my Moser catalog with me (it's at work, and I'm not ) so I can't comment on whether or not they offer it. You should be able to find something on their website, though. I do know that Chevrolet offered gear ratios of both 2.73 and 2.56 in the 12 bolt from the factory. I would imagine you'd have to have a 2 series carrier to run them. I have no idea whether Chevrolet still stocks them and if they do you're talking $$$. I'm thinking along the same lines as you...why have a performance car that is top speed limited by the gear ratio? The acceleration aspect with a lower gear is nice, but I like cruising at high speeds at relativly low RPM's.

I just did a quick search and neither Strange or Moser offer gear ratios higher than 3.08. You could always run the 3.08's and bump the limiter a few hundred RPM's

Last edited by Gearhead1; 02-07-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah mpg and cruising ability is important, but it's also the fact of being able to run to high speed with boucing the engine off the limiter.

If you could use the tranny as a proper 4 speed and leave it in D and be able to kick it down to 1st or change up at WOT then it really would be a problem and 3.73's with a slight rpm increase should see 175-180mph top speed.

But I don't want to be out on a drive in 3rd and be limited to ~120mph.

I know a manual tranny would solve this, but hay I have already have an auto.

EDIT: Had a look a Moser's website - http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...n/ringpin.html

Seems 3.08 is the highest gear they do.

Quick Reply: 2.73 gears in a 12 bolt?? Is it possible?