General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil in Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Exhaust??

The other day my 3rd and 4th gear went out in my red 98 ta. I was 200 miles from home, so I made the bad decsion to try and make it home going 40-50 mph in 2nd. It was all back roads so i didnt have to get out of any highways. My car shut down twice, but my cell had no signal and the roads were about empty. The low oil light kept coming on and the car would cut out then I would pull over and check the temp guages. I just changed the oil in it about 3 weeks ago, but checked to make sure, and the oil was fine as well as the temp guage. Well I started to get ready to yank the tranny and put a new exhaust on, and there is some oil in the exhaust. What did I do? I drove 40-50, but I fear i messed the 6.0 up a little. I am replacing the tranny and converter tomorrom, should I be afraid to get on it, or will the new tranny and converter fix the prob?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

You're car just sorta went haywire huh?

If we break it down into simpler problems it might help you. Oil in your exhaust is unrelated to you tranny problems. Something gotta wrong with you engine for that to be happening. How much oil is there? Hows the engine running? I've never heard of any large amounts of oil in the exhaust. anything that makes its way into the cylinder should be mostly burned. But there will be some residue/condesation perhaps inside you tubes
How are your valve seals?

Tranny sounds shot, obviously but it looks like you are on top of that already.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

are you sure it is oil in your exhaust or like posted above could it be condensation mixed with carbon on the pipes causing an oil looking sludge in the pipes?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default Not oil

Yea it was crabon abd condensation, but car is still going nuts. Got new built 4l60E in, and car keeps cutting off while the low oil and ses light come on. It idles low and dies some times, and surges a lot, what is wrong? This engine does have that many miles on it. I did drive a long way at 4500 or more rpm's though, maybe my rings are bad? ANother thought is that sometimes when it dies, when it starts back up, the miliage reads 0 on my trip odo, could it be a bad ground, as my right headlight low beam dims sometimes. Any help?