Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GC and filter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC and filter question

im reading on the german castrol, and oil filters, my question is what is the diffrence between the old GC and the "new"gc is the new gc not as good or sumthin, also why do people say the fram oil filters are crap.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The difference is color. The old is green and the new is gold. The gold formula hasnt been sampled yet, but is most likely just as good as the green. So dont worry about that. STAY AWAY FROM FRAM FILTERS. They are ****. I run WIX and they are one of the top filters. others will say mobil 1 or k&n, but i dont think they are worth the extra $. hth
Old 02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

but thats my question ive heard people say they are **** but my question is "WHY" do they not flow enough filter enough what?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've run the new "golden" German Castrol for the past two oil changes. The oil pressure seems a bit more steady than it did with the Green. I don't know that that really says much about the quality of the oil other than it might be a tad thicker. Motor doesn't sound any different otherwise, no more or less valve noise.

I've also always(since I got my car a year ago) used the k&n filters. HP 2006(longer than stock), they have them at most Autozones so I just get one when I get my oil.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
but thats my question ive heard people say they are **** but my question is "WHY" do they not flow enough filter enough what?
Do a search. It was something about the way they flow.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fram filters are made cheaply with crap components including cardboard endcaps rather than metal like most. Search for fram and you'll find lots of info on them.