Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch cleaning question

Well tomorow i am going to be installing my new powergrip, and I know that i have to clean the pressure plate off with brake cleaner, but i did not know if i had to clean off the disc? My friends are telling me dont spray anythign on the disc because it will ruin it. Are they correct? thanks- Jarett
Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't handle the clutch disc until your hands are clean and you're ready to install it. Hose the pressure plate and flywheen down with plenty of fluid wiping any grease, friction material, oil, or any other contaminants off. If the clutch disc is dusty when you go to install it blow it off with a good shot of compressed air, but if there is any chance of other contaminants clean the disc with brake cleaner. Let everything dry thoroughly before you put it together.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

well when i got it, i was too excited ans was playin with it, i wasnt thinking at the time that my hands may not have been clean. So should i clean it off with brake cleaner? It isnt dusty or anything.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sledneck687
well when i got it, i was too excited ans was playin with it, i wasnt thinking at the time that my hands may not have been clean. So should i clean it off with brake cleaner? It isnt dusty or anything.
I'm curious about this too, there are fingerprints on my clutch disc and I'm sure thats not good. Can you just clean these off or do I have a major problem here?

James
Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will burn off quickly into the break in process.

Quick Reply: clutch cleaning question