Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My Spec Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch is dead!Have questions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Spec Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch is dead!Have questions??

Yesterday, while heading out, my shifter was beginning to stick while leaving the neighborhood. All of a sudden on a city street, I couldn't put it in any gear. With the car off, I could, but while running, no. I managed to get it into first and Crawled home @ 20Mph, which wasn't to far, luckily.
Had it towed into a Transmission shop and the guy told me my Clutch was worn and I need a new one. Add to this, I had a broken spring which popped out. I went over to the shop, and sure enough, the clutch is toast. And I don't drag race and I’m not that hard on the car.

Questions....

How long is a stage 3 Ceramic Clutch Supposed to last? I managed to get about 25K

Are Centerforce clutches any good? He recommended I put this clutch in as a replacement.

How much should a "full" clutch replacement w/ Tranny flush cost? This cost should include a dual friction Centerforce clutch w/ new Flywheel + Slave + Throw out bearing and Labor?

I was given an estimate which I thought was a bit high...which i won't put up right now, but i will send you a PM if you request it....

Mind you, thy are going to do other minor things.....like flushing my PS system and rear end.

Last edited by MYTFASTSS; 02-10-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

how much are they estimating? pm
Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

25k out of a Ceramic is pretty good. High performance clutches aren't made to last forever,exp. Ceramic.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You got a lot of miles out of it to say its ceramic. Carbon usually last a little longer. If your not looking to spend a lot, just call up spec and order a new friction disc.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Im going to go with "Luk Pro gold series"...

I want a clutch to last @ least 50K and perform. This is going to cost me a arm & leg
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

I only got 30,000 out of my spec 3. Now i got spec 3 plus, going in on tuesday, hopefully it lasts longer. I was really hard on my clutch everyday though.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Blazinws6kush::what type was yours? Ceramic/Carbon/??? What do you mean by being hard on it? I drove my car everyday, to and from work. Sometimes in stop and go, but most of those Miles where on freeway. The guy showed me that my pilot bearing was chewed up, and the clutch was missing a spring upon teardown.
Not only am i disappointed with Spec, but since i drive my car as a daily driver, this clutch should have lasted me at least another year or 15K more miles.
Mind you, this car has "never" seen a track!

P.S....I noticed that you are in Rancho Cucamonga. I grew up there. I,ve been up here in San Jose going on 17yrs now. I miss that area. I lived near the Jack in the box (if it still there) on Arrow & Archibald. I went to Rancho Cucamonga Elementary just south of that Jack in the Box. Man, last time I was i the area, it changed so much since..No more grapevine fields like the old days. how long have you lived there?

Last edited by MYTFASTSS; 02-11-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

25k is excellent for a ceramic clutch! Stop and go driving really kills a high performance clutch...If you daily drive it Id recommend a carbon setup or perhaps the Ls6 clutch....
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls7 clutch.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine only last 1 season. but the car is raced at least every other weekend. on clutch #3 now. I called spec tech line and they were no help. they said it's a performance clutch, it's not made to last.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

25k miles out of a ceramic clutch, dude...you should consider yourself lucky and call this a SPEC success story, not a failure. If you want something to last 50k miles, a high performance clutch should NOT be the route you should take.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MYTFASTSS
Yesterday, while heading out, my shifter was beginning to stick while leaving the neighborhood. All of a sudden on a city street, I couldn't put it in any gear. With the car off, I could, but while running, no. I managed to get it into first and Crawled home @ 20Mph, which wasn't to far, luckily.
Had it towed into a Transmission shop and the guy told me my Clutch was worn and I need a new one. Add to this, I had a broken spring which popped out. I went over to the shop, and sure enough, the clutch is toast. And I don't drag race and I’m not that hard on the car.
Hey, same situation...
I had the same thing happen LAST WEEK! my clutch wasnt toast, but the spring broke and fell out and i sent it back i was within 120 days of warranty, but i only had 5k miles on it

Quick Reply: My Spec Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch is dead!Have questions??