Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle Keeper? Pssngr side axle slides out...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axle Keeper? Pssngr side axle slides out...

i got my new rotors today so i decided to throw them on, i pull off the rear tires, and take off the caliper and start to pull on the stock rotors, to see the axle come out a little bit so after i took the rotor off i pulled on the axle and it slides right out of place, the other side was locked in and didn't budge...im worried

is there some sort of keeper or pin that goes in there? like a groove set into the axle or something of that sort? im pretty sure its not supposed to slide out like that lol, can someone point me in the right direction please! thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

it might be the c-clip fell off in the rear end that holds the axel in. unless you have c-clip eliminators. hope that helped you. its not hard to put a new c-clip in just have to remove the cover.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

DO NOT drive your car again until you fix the problem.

The axles are retained by a C clip which slides into a grouve at the end of the axle inside the case.
If the C clip came off by itself possibly the retainer is missing , something is broken or someone did not reassemble it correctly before.

In any event if it isn't fixed properly the entire wheel and axle could come off the car while you are driving the car.

Very unsafe.

Good Luck in getting it resoulved, let us know what you find.

Ryan
Old 02-10-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not really a 10 bolt, but thats what ur looking for on the sides.

yeah not a good thing, lucky u have disk brakes, someone on thirdgen.org had drum brakes and the whole axle slid out quite a bit with the rim and everything. not a fun ride.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

well i took off the rearend cover, and i have never seen so much metal stuck to a magnet in my life! the passenger side c clip disintegrated! so im gona go to the dealer and pray they have 1 or 2 c-clips cause i dont wanna risk losing the other one too it looks "loose" . Anywhere online i can purchase them and get next day air?