View Full Version : flowmaster

my black ss
02-09-2006, 11:21 PM
how about some opinoins on flowmaster a thunder kit :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Jassick
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
crap you put flowmaster in a thread...let the flames begin..

jrp
02-09-2006, 11:51 PM
newbie mod mistakes thread. read.

98boxer
02-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Flowmaster not good on the ls1, I lost bottom end torque when I had the flowmaster but it was loud, not as loud as the better flowing loudmouth. Plus with the loudmouth you don't have the rear pillow look, as you do with the flowmast muffler.

camaroextra
02-10-2006, 07:42 AM
flowmaster = crapmaster

black01_WS6
02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
flowmaster is horrible, you will lose power going to it, but it would be loud. go for any other exhaust but flowmaster

2_wacko
02-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I have the flowmaster on my Z28. I should of saved the money and bought the GMMG instead. Thank god for the cutout I have. :devil:

99camarosupersport
02-10-2006, 11:06 AM
flowmaster = crapmaster
:werd:

1 BLOWN V8
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I like the Magnaflow catback system. Good sound, quality and price.

StealthFormula
02-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Dont get a flowmaster, thats why I'm spending $850 for a GMMG catback that I should have bought in the first place.

gtarist
02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I like the Magnaflow catback system. Good sound, quality and price.
ditto

Mike2kZ
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I love my Magnaflow. the car came with a Flowmaster... I liked the sounds but it was too restictive and with Long Tube headers and ORY It was getting raspy. No rasp with the Magnaflow.

It's Stainless steel... the muffler poishes very nicely and it's only like $350.

v8hunter
02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
My car came with the flowmaster setup when I bought it. Overall it sounded and looked good, but it does not flow well behind the ls1 motor. I have a hooker aerochamber system now that flows much better than the flowmaster and was only $275. Id personally stay away from the loudmouth system as it is quite loud (especially with headers). The magnaflow is also a popular system, but some say it has too much rasp. Others like the true dual setups, but theres not alot of reason to do unless you already have long tube headers. Theres my .02.

TOMSBLKSS
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
wow, my car came with flowmasters and i thought they were cool... until now. but i think they sound great and look good. oh well, my wife just gave me the thumbs up on a STS kit so i guess i dont have to worry about the muffler for long.

Lost My License
02-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Not a fan of Flowmaster, rusted out on my 1980 Camaro...The muffler even blew out haha. I like Borla because of the warranty and the no rust aspect. It isn't extremely loud though. I would definitely do some good searching...I've been known to chase various cars down when I see them on the road just to see what they sound like.

GXPPOWER
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
what would yall consider the cheapest/ best sounding exhaust setup. besides a cutout.

exhaust will probly be my first modification to my car. but they seem so expensive getting into the 600+ dollar range.

my black ss
02-10-2006, 05:28 PM
yes i was afraid of them being restrictive i was wanting to do some thing difrent and install a loudmouth 2 and also put a vortex cone insert in what do you think of that i havent seen that before

J E T
02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
what would yall consider the cheapest/ best sounding exhaust setup. besides a cutout.

exhaust will probly be my first modification to my car. but they seem so expensive getting into the 600+ dollar range.

TSP Rumbler (http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=195&catid=46), Hooker (http://www.gmrspeed.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_54_107&products_id=240), SLP LM (http://www.extremeperformance.org/product_info.php?cPath=9_20_100&products_id=268) and Magnaflow (http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=235_82_49&products_id=626) are all good choices. LS1Sounds (http://www.ls1sounds.com/) gives you an idea of what it will sound like. But to answer your question on a low cost and great sounding exhaust, I would pick any one of these 4.

Sgt. Spuds
02-10-2006, 07:05 PM
I have headers and a FM cat back. I like it honestly. It came on my car, and its gonna stay for a while. It sounds good, and since I have a lt1, I hear that they don't hate em as bad as the ls1's do. I've read somwhere that noone should pick their catback based on power generated, if you want power out a system, a cut out or true duals is the only way to go, or so I have read.

But I have a partial borla system that will go in this summer.

01T-TopToy
02-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I hear alot of opinions about Flowmasters being inferior, but nothing to support the claims but opinions..Anyone have a link to STATS or something to prove the claims ?
I dont mean more I have such and such etc, I mean flowcharts, or dyno printouts ..
I have Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back on my car and I went 319.5 rwhp with them and a SLP lid an K&N with an A4..so before I spend cash on another exhaust, I want to see something in print

GXPPOWER
02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
yea i would like to see actuall proof myself. all i have ever seen is gains when using flow master setups over oem. the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust if im not mistaken? just seems wierd that the ls1 would be a special circumstance and for whatever reason doesnt work well with flowmasters. can someone actually give the exact reason.

JD_AMG
02-10-2006, 08:59 PM
yea i would like to see actuall proof myself. all i have ever seen is gains when using flow master setups over oem. the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust if im not mistaken? just seems wierd that the ls1 would be a special circumstance and for whatever reason doesnt work well with flowmasters. can someone actually give the exact reason.

Im sure flowmaster flows better than the factory exhaust, thats a given. But I think what everyone is saying is that its one of the worst flowing aftermarket exhausts.
Ill look for some spec sheets.

GXPPOWER
02-10-2006, 09:37 PM
after listening to the sound clips the texas rumbler sounds better than alot of the other setups. but i wonder how much inside drone their is in the car. which all those clips had interior recording also.

jrp
02-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I hear alot of opinions about Flowmasters being inferior, but nothing to support the claims but opinions..Anyone have a link to STATS or something to prove the claims ?
I dont mean more I have such and such etc, I mean flowcharts, or dyno printouts ..
I have Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back on my car and I went 319.5 rwhp with them and a SLP lid an K&N with an A4..so before I spend cash on another exhaust, I want to see something in print

i've see several AB tests vs different catbacks and flowmaster vs cutout comparisons.

my black ss
02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
yes i was afraid of them being restrictive i was wanting to do some thing difrent and install a loudmouth 2 and also put a vortex cone insert in what do you think of that i havent seen that before
HEY GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS IM CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANYONES DONE THIS :judge:

J E T
02-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I hear alot of opinions about Flowmasters being inferior, but nothing to support the claims but opinions..

It's basically just the muffler that comes with the American Thunder catback offered by Flowmaster for the LS1. It's just for some reason, the 80 series crossflow muffer doesn't "flow" on LS1's.

my black ss
02-11-2006, 11:39 PM
hey has anyone tried this ive got every thing but an anser

Ace$nyper
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
When you regret putting one on your car you got for FREE I think it says somthing.

taintedmeat
02-12-2006, 12:30 AM
TSP Rumbler, great sound, simple install, can't beat the price. I wish I would have gotten it first instead of the Flowmaster. :eyes: Luckily I found someone in the for sale section to buy it after I got my Rumbler. Cost me $50 to ship it though :bang:

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a used GMMG catback :)