Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Losing time on e.t. with dynotuning?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Losing time on e.t. with dynotuning?

I have heard a some things about dynotuning. I am iffy on dynotuning my car because of losing time. I have heard that some times when you take a car to get dynotuned you can actually lose time. Sense some tuners don't take certain factors in the equation.

2000 camaro SS trex, midly ported heads stock valve size, 3500SSF Diablosport basic tune only.

Looking at getting my car tuned at texas-speed in lubbock texas
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

I know up here cars like to be at 12.6-12.8 A/F to run there best time at the track. On the dyno the most power usually comes at 13.0-13.2. The the track is only 90ft above sea level. I would just get you car dyno tuned the car will respond better idle better and be much faster than it is now. You'll gain more with Texas speed dyno tuning it than your Diablo tuner thus you track time will go down.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Contrary to popular belief, there is much more to dyno tuning then many people believe. Like many trades there is a wide range of knowledge, experiance and skill level from dyno shop to dyno shop. That profession does not require tests, licensing, etc, anyone can buy dyno a become a dyno tuner. Just because someone made their car fast and now tunes others does not mean that he is a good tuner for you. Not to mention, seat of the pants, grudge racing and even a timed quarter mile run is not usually a very scientific way to evaluate a good tune, too many variables. But, as most engine performance enthusiasts usually find out, you can accomplish more on a dyno in one hour then many expensive weekends at the track, with a good dyno and dyno operator, at least that's how the pros do it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is a fair price for a good dyno tune then? (non FI's)
Old 02-10-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

In the neighborhood of 500 bucks
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

So if i am running ok right know should i Dyno tune or maybe explore other options like:
downloading tune to diablo programmer(risking being inaccurate)
Buying Hptuners or Ls1edit
using Maf translator with air fule gage to test and tune the car at the track. what do u guys think?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i went 3 tenths slower the stock with a dyno tune by a well known sponsor even though on a dyno I made an extra 70+hp/40+ftlb. A dyno should usually be considered a tool and not the end all be all to tuning. Keep in mind there are many liabilities shops are not willing to endure doing a "street" tune even though one probably should be performed on each car to some extent.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaulinmathvader
I have heard a some things about dynotuning. I am iffy on dynotuning my car because of losing time. I have heard that some times when you take a car to get dynotuned you can actually lose time. Sense some tuners don't take certain factors in the equation.

2000 camaro SS trex, midly ported heads stock valve size, 3500SSF Diablosport basic tune only.

Looking at getting my car tuned at texas-speed in lubbock texas
IMO a dyno tune is a must. It is just a tuning instument but a good one to use. A professional tuner can really bring out the best in your car. Can it be done at the track and drivinghte car around ofcourse if you have your tuner willing to drive around with ya. Most of us dont. Id run down to tsp for that tune
Old 02-12-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foff667
personally i went 3 tenths slower the stock with a dyno tune by a well known sponsor even though on a dyno I made an extra 70+hp/40+ftlb. A dyno should usually be considered a tool and not the end all be all to tuning. Keep in mind there are many liabilities shops are not willing to endure doing a "street" tune even though one probably should be performed on each car to some extent.
I would love to hear the reason your car went .3 slower due to having MORE power. Traction could be one thing but that is not a fault of the dynotuner doing his job(getting you more reliable power).
Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
I would love to hear the reason your car went .3 slower due to having MORE power. Traction could be one thing but that is not a fault of the dynotuner doing his job(getting you more reliable power).
The question should be ...what was the before and after MPH, what was the before and after 60', what was the before and after weather conditions....was ANYTHING ELSE DIFFERENT?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

personally i went 3 tenths slower the stock with a dyno tune by a well known sponsor even though on a dyno I made an extra 70+hp/40+ftlb.
70+ hp 3 tenths slower must be a typo. Hope it's a typo

Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

If you went .3 tenths slower with 70 more horsepower its obviously driver error.... this is not rocket science.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 02-13-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is actually believable.I've had car's show up that make great dyno #'s but when you hit the street they KR like crazy under load.

I'm a firm believer of street tuning.Most of my NA race cars never hit the dyno unless they aren't registered.
The sad part is most people want to gloat over high dyno #'s instead of a fast track/street car
Old 02-13-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

A big problem with that is most tuners don't do PT tuning anymore. They strap it on a dyno, put the A/F at 13.0, and charge you $400 for an hour's time. I fully agree with you, PT/street tuning should be done before the car is ever on the rollers for a tune.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
A big problem with that is most tuners don't do PT tuning anymore. They strap it on a dyno, put the A/F at 13.0, and charge you $400 for an hour's time. I fully agree with you, PT/street tuning should be done before the car is ever on the rollers for a tune.
I would never pay someone 400 bucks for a tune unless it guaranteed, as luck would have it many give a lifetime tune....Especially not when you can just buy EFILive or HPTuners and do it yourself.

Search this Thread