Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK TB and Granitelli MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK TB and Granitelli MAF?

Hello all, I was wondering if I should remove these and put the stock ones back in. Before I retired from the Navy, one of the guys I was on the ship with, a Ricer guy, thought my LS1 would make more power with the stock components. I had bought alot of the stuff in a power package from Tbyrne. I have a lid, smooth bellows, under the hood ram air, the EGR Mod, a different muffler and a SLP Y pipe. Addtionally, I have a Hyper tech programmer and have done the base upgrade with it. Future Mods include the TB bypass, short shifter, rear end girdle and the set of 4.10's that have been sitting in my living room since spring of '05. My last year on the boat was a bitch! Any help would be appreciated!
Scott
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

I dont think you are really hurting anything...definitely not with the throttle body and you can read around about peoples opinions on MAF sensors. I am running a SLP MAF and ported stock TB and I could tell a SOTP gain when I did both (I did them at the same time).
Old 02-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice! I have read on this forum that people don't think it is a good idea to mess with the MAF, I would just like to see some hard evidence to back the claim. When I did my upgrade, I got a nice seat of the pants kick as well. People bust on the SLP Y pipe also but thought mine was a good investment because it seemed to wake the car up a bit. I guess they are all different. Again thanks for the input. I hope to do some of the mods that you have done to your Z-28, I am sure it moves out quite nicely!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

I had an SLP MAF, but didnt notice any real gains from it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Yea youll have a lot of fun expirimenting with different parts. Sometimes you gotta try the things that are toss ups and maybe it will be worth-while and maybe it wont. Glad I could give you some insight!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest getting the bbk tb. but i would forget about the maf. i would use that money and get a pulley. after that get some longtube headers..
Old 02-11-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest keeping your money, port your stock TB and descreen your stock MAF.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if you would even want to de-screen it or not. But definitely port your TB.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Cool thanks for all of the help guys!
Scott
Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyTA
Hello all, I was wondering if I should remove these and put the stock ones back in. Before I retired from the Navy, one of the guys I was on the ship with, a Ricer guy, thought my LS1 would make more power with the stock components. I had bought alot of the stuff in a power package from Tbyrne. I have a lid, smooth bellows, under the hood ram air, the EGR Mod, a different muffler and a SLP Y pipe. Addtionally, I have a Hyper tech programmer and have done the base upgrade with it. Future Mods include the TB bypass, short shifter, rear end girdle and the set of 4.10's that have been sitting in my living room since spring of '05. My last year on the boat was a bitch! Any help would be appreciated!
Scott
In all honesty no you probably wouldn't really make any more power with stock items, but that's more because all your listed mods don't really add up to much beyond a stock engine anyhow.

A stock MAF is good for ~500bhp your probably nearer 350bhp. By messing with the MAF all you are doing is altering the readings sent to the PCM, this can be done via tuning so there's no real point.

The stock TB is not a bad unit and is large enough to make good power on a cammed bolt on car. Porting it is cheap or free and it will probably match many of the larger units for the most part (excluding 90mm setups).

But in all honesty the MAF and TB are not the main restrictions so altering them will have little affect. Many people however have had issues using alternative MAF's so if you think your car isn't running quite as it should then that may be a good place to start.

If you want to make your car quick only perform the mods that make a real difference. Click the Mod Guide link in my sig, and have a look through the guide which is a sticky in the LS1 enthusiasts forum area.