Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem

When I bought my firebird it had an aftermarket stero in it, When I tried to listen to it the sound quality was awful. I had to turn the volume up to 30 just to somewhat hear it and the sound was full of static (CD not radio). So i thought that the stero was bad so i put in my brother brand new sony. same problem.

What could be causing this, shorted wire or what?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

mine did that and it was a bad ground,
Old 02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my 98 camaro if has a pair of speaker wires. If you accidently connect the tweeter wires to you speakers, they will play very low, no matter how much volume you turn up. Maybe check the wires at the speakers.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your car came with the Bose system from the factory, you need to buy a little adapter due to the way bose runs it's amplifiers. Basically you can't run the Aftermarket Head Unit amp, on top of the Bose Amp, so the little adapter deletes the Bose Amp and allows your car to be powered by the single Head Unit amp.

In Lamens terms... buy the adapter, you will have sound. It's a pain in the ***, considering you have to spend like 40-50 bucks to get it... but I'm pretty sure it's the only thing you can do if your car came with BOSE.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehrcgm21.html
Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

for 96formulaM6: where exactally was your ground problem? I have been constantly fixing numerious ground problems so my first guess is thats the culprit.

Quick Reply: weird problem