Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proper batt. relocation wiring?

Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper batt. relocation wiring?

Ok, I need to find some info on the proper wiring for an f-body to relocate the battery in the rear. Now, the way I always thought is to run one positive cable to the starter and branch everything from there. Then to run one ground to the switch then the body of the car in the rear. This is the way that 99% of the people that i talked to run theirs. The problem with that is if the engine is running and the switch is turned off, the car will stay running because the alternator will stay excited and keep the system alive, everything has a ground. Just like if the battery cables were removed while the car was running, it will stay running.

This is the way I belive the system needs to be run but it has a flaw. I would need to run two positive cables to the front, one goes to the starter and the other goes to the alternator. The cable goes to the starter also feeds the rest of the system. The cable that goes to the alternator does not go to anything else. Now, at the switch, the starter cable is at one terminal and the alternator cable is at the other. The alternator cable terminal is also the terminal for the battery. The battery is grounded to the frame. So, when the switch is turned on, it connects the battery to the starter and the rest of the system, when it is turned off, the started and the rest of the system is disconnected.

Now, the cable that connects the alternator to the switch is always connected to the battery at the same terminal of the switch. But with the switch turned off and shuts the rest of the system including the exciter wire to the alternator, so the alternator shuts off and does not charge. Now, wired in this way, the car will shut off. This seems to be correct but the flaw would be that the alternator is always connected.

I would like to know if there are anyother ways to wire a battery relocation to shut down the whole electrical system including the alternator or is one of these ways correct. Any input would be great other wise I will most likly wire the system with two cables. Thanks

Search this Thread