Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM 2 exhaust with ory w/ lt headers??????

Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM 2 exhaust with ory w/ lt headers??????

I've searched and can't seem to find a sound clip of a slp loudmouth 2 cat back with an ory and long tube headers. I even couldn't find this set up on ls1sounds.com , all it had was a clip of a loudmouth 2 cat back with stock cats and stock manifolds. does anyone have a sound clip of this exhaust set-up? Does it sound similar to the loudmouth 1 catback with ory and long tubes? any info will help. thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2x.........
Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its going to be MUCH louder than you want to deal with but I dont know for sure, TTT for ya
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

well tell me this, will adding the LMII muffler to the existing LM take care of the shitty rasp and dreaded 2k drone?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a LMII on my LS1 vert... and I kind of hate it with stock equipment because of the drone. I don't know how bad a LMI is, but I can't imagine it is a huge improvement over a LM1.

I'm 28 years old, and do a lot of highway driving. 150 mile trips are common. So I know I am not likely the normal person for an exhaust review perspective. But, I've had a stock, flowmaster, and slp 2otl setup on my old 93 lt1, along with the stock and LMII setup on this LS1.

If the car is a toy, that's one thing, the LMII is pretty cool. BUt I think they put sound volume over sound quality. Loud for the sake of being loud.

Actually driving it though, and I'd really recommend you try to find a few cars setup and listen to them if at all possible. I thought I was doing the right thing because I thought the 2otl was too tame and the LMI was pretty much open pipes. But the LMII is still too much.

Just my .02. I think most people that scream they love loudmouths must be deaf or just really enjoy having a ridiculously loud exhaust.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
I have a LMII on my LS1 vert... and I kind of hate it with stock equipment because of the drone. I don't know how bad a LMI is, but I can't imagine it is a huge improvement over a LM1.

I'm 28 years old, and do a lot of highway driving. 150 mile trips are common. So I know I am not likely the normal person for an exhaust review perspective. But, I've had a stock, flowmaster, and slp 2otl setup on my old 93 lt1, along with the stock and LMII setup on this LS1.

If the car is a toy, that's one thing, the LMII is pretty cool. BUt I think they put sound volume over sound quality. Loud for the sake of being loud.

Actually driving it though, and I'd really recommend you try to find a few cars setup and listen to them if at all possible. I thought I was doing the right thing because I thought the 2otl was too tame and the LMI was pretty much open pipes. But the LMII is still too much.

Just my .02. I think most people that scream they love loudmouths must be deaf or just really enjoy having a ridiculously loud exhaust.
i think your right. but most of the ppl that buy LMII are people that want the all out deafining noise without the rasp of open pipes that you hear on 4x4's and hot rods.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
I've searched and can't seem to find a sound clip of a slp loudmouth 2 cat back with an ory and long tube headers. I even couldn't find this set up on ls1sounds.com , all it had was a clip of a loudmouth 2 cat back with stock cats and stock manifolds. does anyone have a sound clip of this exhaust set-up? Does it sound similar to the loudmouth 1 catback with ory and long tubes? any info will help. thanks
My understanding is the LM2 was created to stop people hacking up the LM setups and adding a bullett muffler.

Sadly from what I have read, the muffler SLP use is not particulary good and drone is still an issue (several repost claim the LM2 is worse for drone than the LM1).

All you can do is add the LT's Y pipe and see. A catted Y pipe would probably be a better bet and have less rasp to it. If you don't like it then you have 2 choices:

1. Get a different catback
2. change the muffler for something else, Borla & Dynomax are common choices. But I like the sound of Magnaflow. They won't make it any quieter but they should alter the sound.

And anyhow, if you already have the LM2 what's the point in finding clips. If it doesn't sound good with LT's & ORY would you not then buy them? Sacrificing performance even though a $150 muffler would solve the issue?

Just get the LT's/ORY chuck them on there and see.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Alright, there are three different versions of the LMII. The only reason its called a LMII is that the mufflers are interchangable. You can still purchase a LMII with the resonator that came with the original LM. However, there are 2 other options with the LMII - a bullet style muffler and a flowmaster style muffler. Now I've heard all three, so trust me when I say the bullet style muffler in the LMII offers much less drone that the original LM with the resonator. FWIW.

I say throw some headers on and adjust your sound level accordingly with a different muffler.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by neonblack
Alright, there are three different versions of the LMII. The only reason its called a LMII is that the mufflers are interchangable. You can still purchase a LMII with the resonator that came with the original LM. However, there are 2 other options with the LMII - a bullet style muffler and a flowmaster style muffler. Now I've heard all three, so trust me when I say the bullet style muffler in the LMII offers much less drone that the original LM with the resonator. FWIW.
That doesn't sound correct to me.

If you look on SLP's website the LM1 is listed. This is the same as the orignal LM, only it's now modular so it basically comes in more peices. And the resonator is easy to swap out.

The LM2 comes with a muffler but it's still modular and interchangable.

http://www.slponline.com/browse_list.asp
Loud Mouth II bullet-type race muffler (#31067)

and the resonator for the LM1

31066 Resonator, Camaro/Firebird "Loud-Mouth" Shotgun

It's only confusing because on their site they referr to the resonator under three different names. Plus there are several kits (single out or dual out let).

but there are only 2 options.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
That doesn't sound correct to me.

If you look on SLP's website the LM1 is listed. This is the same as the orignal LM, only it's now modular so it basically comes in more peices. And the resonator is easy to swap out.

The LM2 comes with a muffler but it's still modular and interchangable.

http://www.slponline.com/browse_list.asp
Loud Mouth II bullet-type race muffler (#31067)

and the resonator for the LM1

31066 Resonator, Camaro/Firebird "Loud-Mouth" Shotgun

It's only confusing because on their site they referr to the resonator under three different names. Plus there are several kits (single out or dual out let).

but there are only 2 options.
The third option is not shown in the f-body category. Here is the link. The exhaust pictured is for a mustang, but the mufflers at the bottom all work with the LMII. I know because I have all three.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

ta didn't know that.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neonblack
The third option is not shown in the f-body category. Here is the link. The exhaust pictured is for a mustang, but the mufflers at the bottom all work with the LMII. I know because I have all three.
Which one's your favorite?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Which one's your favorite?
Well, the resonator is pretty annoying...to me at least. As many people say, there is quite a bit of droning in the 2k rpm range. But it does sound nice at WOT. I currently have the bullet style muffler on and to tell you the truth, I couldn't really tell the difference between the bullet style and the powerflo version. I plan on getting headers in the next month, so I may be swapping the different mufflers in and out to find the one that sounds best.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Teching In

*****Edited for stupidity******

Finian, you get a 2 week vacation. Your first post on this site isn't going to be attacking other members. Neither is anyone elses. Lets see if we can all play nice, shall we...

Last edited by J-Rod; 02-15-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
well tell me this, will adding the LMII muffler to the existing LM take care of the shitty rasp and dreaded 2k drone?
It might not be restrictive enough.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im about to order a LM1 setup for my newly purchased 02 T/A. I've heard a few local LS1's with LT's & no cats w/ LM and I think they sound GREEAAAT!!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Finian
**************Edited for stupidity*******************
Who are you to talk rookie? He knows what he is talking about...We can't tell if you know what is up from your monster 1 post.

Last edited by J-Rod; 02-15-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Eh?

What's more the shame is I never even said anything against anything. Maybe they feel some sort of alegance to SLP??? Either that or they are not quite right in the head.

Sad really considering I'm already in England so it's pretty hard to "go back" as recommended, plus why would I own a Camaro if I didn't like American cars Not to mention the fact my TR7 also has a Rover/Buick V8 which originates from America.

Guess some people are just born dumb
time dosent cure all wounds....stupidity lives on...
Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

lol
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Ok let me post my experiences with LM2. I currently have it on my car, the same bullet style resonator as the original, only this one supposedly had been tuned down. Along with this exhaust goes a set of QTP's w/ an ORY, so its gonna be flowing as freely as possible. At idle the car is loud. Parked outside my garage, it will rattle stuff inside the garage....I can only imagine what happens when I get a cam. Under light throttle up too about 3.5k, you could still get away without a noise violation or whatever the law might throw at you. Suprisingly if your at about 4k rpm and you give it no throttle, you can bearly hear the car. I know that sounds weird, but thats what I got from my car. After 2k the majority of the nastiness is going away....BUT THIS IS UNDER PART THROTTLE!!! Now as for WOT.......Good luck. I have scared many innocent people just cruising and when I go WOT it sounds like a straight up Nascar. This exhaust with LT's and a ORY is not for the faint of heart. It is really not that much quiter then the original lm, however it does sound much more pleasing to the ears. Before I had my lt's put on I felt as if the exhaust sounded plugged....it felt like it was being restricted. I guess taking my cats off solved that problem. The only dilemma I have come across with this exhaust setup is where my ORY meets the reducer into the muffler. Found an exhaust leak there. all in all I still love my exhaust and I honestly still get a grin when I go WOT.

As for anybody reading this post who is considering buying this setup with lt's in mind, BE SURE YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES OF A LOUD *** EXHAUST. I've been followed by three cops now and everytime I see one, its super slo mo style. And if you street race, you will be a dead give away for about 2 miles, thats how loud it is. GOOD LUCK!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LM 2 exhaust with ory w/ lt headers??????