Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Headers

I am thinking for my next mod to get headers and a new y-pipe. QTP and Kooks are a little expensive but Pacesetter and Hooker both seem to be good setups from what I have researched. I am kind of leaning towards the Pacesetter 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers with the Armor ceramic coating and the Pacesetters 3” y-pipe.
I want to know what you guys think of this set up or if there is a better one for about the same price. Will this set up work with GMMG exhaust? Also what is the difference between the headers with or without emissions, I thought emissions only mattered on the y-pipe.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Lust
I am thinking for my next mod to get headers and a new y-pipe. QTP and Kooks are a little expensive but Pacesetter and Hooker both seem to be good setups from what I have researched. I am kind of leaning towards the Pacesetter 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers with the Armor ceramic coating and the Pacesetters 3” y-pipe.
I want to know what you guys think of this set up or if there is a better one for about the same price. Will this set up work with GMMG exhaust? Also what is the difference between the headers with or without emissions, I thought emissions only mattered on the y-pipe.

Thanks,
Alex
any header will work with any exhuast. i have hooker and i love them. i'd get the ORY pipe if i were you. i don't know if by " emissions " you're talking about the Long tube vs. shorty headers. long tubes are not emmission legal as far as i know and shorties are, thats why i said go ahead with a ORY won't make a difference just makes it sound a hell of a lot better and better flow. maybe you're talking about the o2 sensors on the headers. not sure be specific. oh yeah....if you want headers but still want to be emmission legal, don't even bother buying any. shorties are not worth it IMO.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pacesetter y-pipe is junk. TSP's ORY is cheap and much nicer and mates up to the headers as well as to your GMMG quite nicely.

No emissions on the headers means no AIR/EGR bungs on the primaries (AKA "race headers").
Old 02-13-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

So no LT Headers are legal? If that's the case would there be any point to spending the extra money to get a y-pipe with cats? TheBlurLS1 sorry for the dumb question but what are AIR/EGR and are they important. Also where can I find the TSP Y-pipe, can find em on buynspeed.com

~Alex
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AIR is a smog system that injects air into the exhaust during start up situations until the cats heat up to eficiency, Exhaust Gas Recirculation is another smog system. You wont ever miss either when theyre gone, they do nothing but clean up emissions.

No LTs are legal (at least not here in CA) so getting a catted Y-pipe is still technically illegal. ...although it is much more likely that you will be let off for at least having cats.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks WS6 Kid
I am still not clear what TSP's ORY is, can anyone post a link to where I can find one. Also does anyone know of any sites or posts where the gains from different headers were compared? I want to see how Pacesetters campare with Hooker.

Thanks again,
Alex
Old 02-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Texas Speed Off Road Y Pipe....

http://texas-speed.com/shop/default.asp

I think this is what TheBlurLS1 was referring to.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks WS6 Kid
I am still not clear what TSP's ORY is, can anyone post a link to where I can find one. Also does anyone know of any sites or posts where the gains from different headers were compared? I want to see how Pacesetters campare with Hooker.

Thanks again,
Alex
TSP = Texas Speed & Performance ----> they are a sponsor.

Most LT's offer similar gains. Unless you're planning on well over 550bhp there is not going to be any real difference.

Hooker and Pacesetter are very similar, plus any reviews you see will likely be biased and/or inaccurate comparisons. So don't worry about it.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6 Kid
AIR is a smog system that injects air into the exhaust during start up situations until the cats heat up to eficiency, Exhaust Gas Recirculation is another smog system. You wont ever miss either when theyre gone, they do nothing but clean up emissions.

No LTs are legal (at least not here in CA) so getting a catted Y-pipe is still technically illegal. ...although it is much more likely that you will be let off for at least having cats.
either way get a tune after you are done, because you will set off your service engine soon light.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The pacesetter y-pipe is junk. TSP's ORY is cheap and much nicer and mates up to the headers as well as to your GMMG quite nicely.

No emissions on the headers means no AIR/EGR bungs on the primaries (AKA "race headers").
Why do you say the pacesetter y is junk ?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

almost all header companies y pipes bang from what i have read here and other websites.
a banging y pipe is easy to fix, just heat up the y pipe and bend it slightly, problem solved.
as for the pacesetters, they are top notch. nice thick flanges and nice welds.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

All long tube headers dyno about the same, tuning and the catback you choose is what makes the difference. Remember, don't just buy the most expensive set of headers because they'll give you that extra horse. Buy a good header that you can afford and get a good flowing catback for example:

Pacesetter LTs and TSPs true duals or Hooker LTs and TSPs true duals. You will probably pay less than 1k for this set up, and this setup has been used on many 10 sec n/a cars.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome thanks for all the info.
I am thinking about going with the Pacesetters Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers with the Texas Speed 3" Off Road Y-Pipe running bck to my GMMG Exhaust.
Now all I need to do is save. And just out of curiosity what happen over 550bhp that makes the headers behave differently? And is there any big benefit to running true duals opposed to a Y?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

duals flow excellent but not necessary unless you have a cam really, or at least 450 horses. a 3" y pipe and 3 inch exhaust is plents you just get some rasp from where the pipes join up but if you do a single tailpipe system you wont have much rasp. as for gmmg they sound good with anything. also true duals usually dont leave the underbody of the car which is asking to get checked by emissions people. im gonna do an ory, pacesetters and put a cut out on each side of the y so if i want true duals uncap them, emmissions time or time to take out a girl cap them back up and run through your muffled tailpipes !!!!! and as for the service engine soon light get 02 simulators they keep it off. they plug in to your rear 02 sensor harness and act like a CLEAN 02 reading.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome thanks for all the info.
I am thinking about going with the Pacesetters Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers with the Texas Speed 3" Off Road Y-Pipe running bck to my GMMG Exhaust.
Now all I need to do is save. And just out of curiosity what happen over 550bhp that makes the headers behave differently? And is there any big benefit to running true duals opposed to a Y?
it's all to do with flow rate.

Eventually a 3" pipe will not be able to flow enough gas and it will cause a restriction. This is nothing major and a small restriction will not be drastic on bhp.

Duals can flow well, but it depends when compared to what. a 3.5" Y pipe is pretty on par with 2.5" duals and both are fine for over 500rwhp at no to minimal loss.

Unless you are going FI a 3" Y pipe will be fine, and even then it may only be a matter of 20rwhp or so difference on a 550rwhp motor.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just a little fyi comming from a guy that needs to get his car inspected

ALL long tube headers are illegal simply because they move the location of the cats (no matter where you are in the US... i beleive its a federal law). However unless you get a real ***** inspection station noone will bust your ***** over it. As long as you arent throwing any codes (aka your o2 sensors arent inplace and or not fucntioning).

As far as people running crazy exhaust (orys, no cats, dumped headers etc) set ups it is because they dont have to inspect their vehicles
Old 02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

If you can spend the money get the Kooks. I have not had any experience with Kooks, but my coated pace setters are rusting bad where any moisture from driving has gotton. I noticed the coating coming off after 5 months I think. Since I have wire brushed the rust the best I could and painted those areas. I would hope the Kooks would stand up better, and now wish I would have waited until I had the money.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Cool sounds like the Pacesetters are the way to go. I am not to concerned with moisture living in Arizona. I don't think I am going to be up past 550hp any time soon. And my car needs to be inspected soon so I will probably just install em after that.
Thanks for all the help guys.

~Alex
Old 02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

who tells you guys to get your car inspected etc.? i guess indiana laws are very lineint b/c i've never heard of this **** from where i'm from...sucks to be you guys
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I love my hooker..............headers. Nohting bad about em, their ORY fits nice under the car and the headers are great quality and look sharp as hell!

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Headers