Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter header problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Pacesetter header problem

It's been colder then crap here in ohio the past few weeks but i got around to "trying" to put the headers on the finish this god forsaken install of stuff i started almost a month ago. So i get to work i already had the headers in the engine bay and i was hanging the drivers header up first problem had all the bolts in except the rear one go to put it in and the header hole isn't even close to where the head hole is. WTF so i try to pry it alittle NOPE still atleast a 1/4 inch from hitting the hole. So i yank the damn thing out and find the flange on the header is bent down slightly and it's not all that straight either on the surface that mates to the head. So i'm going to heat the thing up and try to get it into the right place. I drilled the hole out alittle, the header will bolt up now but i'm afraid it won't seal right. Just a little FYI for you guys might wanna check this out if you buy some pacesetters but i'm prolly the only one this has and ever will have happened too .

I swear this car has fought me since the beginning first the TC bolts didn't want to come out had to cut the head off one, next i chipped the damn crank pulley installing it although that just gave me a reason to buy and underdrive one, trying to put the LS6 intake on broke the oil pressure sending unit, now the headers are giving me fits, lets not forget the PITA oil pump i was worried about tearing the o-ring so it took forever installing it, and the oil pickup tube bolt that ppl. say not to drop it in the oil pan yeah i did but i must be one lucky SOB cause a few cuss words a coat hanger a magnet and 20min's later i some how defied the laws of lost engine bolts and retrieved it . I'm used to stuff being easy and quick like working on my 5.0. I just hope it's worth it and the car doesn't blow up or anything or i'm burning it to the ground . I've had 2 ppl. want me to help with with installs on their LS1's yeah i bet i tackle this kinda project again anytime soon.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you should have sent those headers back for a new set.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
Sounds like you should have sent those headers back for a new set.
Ditto.... they would have replaced them, i dought they will now.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

The flange could have gotten bent during shipping. Someone had a similar problem with some Kook's awhile back. The header should seal though, that's what gaskets are for. Sucks having issues when installing go fast **** but that's part of the game and something only a gearhead loves when it's all over and you go cruisin'. I had a nightmare of a spring and shock install on a buddy of mines '02 SS.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

spend that much money and the header should fit with no problems. I would have just returned them.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see the flange on a Pacesetter header getting bent. It would have to take a helluva lick to bend 3/8 thick steel. When I saw the title of the this thread I had to look because Paceseter headers never really give any trouble at all.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree...my pacesetters bolted up w/ no problems (bought them about a year ago). I also can't see the flange getting bent either considering it's pretty thick.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Launching!

No this flange didn't get bent from shipping they are solid nothing short of a torch can bend these things. I'm sending them back now they'll take em back cause i rewelded the hole up and redrilled it haha looks like new. BUT the reason i drilled the hole out to begin with is cause i didn't see the flange was bent back about 1/4 inch and kinda twisted down alittle. Saw that after the fact it figures i just thought the hole was drilled wrong. I know these mods will be worth it but god damn is this thing a major PITA. It makes it 10x's worse cause ohio sucks for weather this time of the year 50 one day the next day it's 20 out.

See the flange is as good as new well kinda lol but i don't think their going to complain on how it looks it's better then the hole being wallowed out.

Last edited by 89tang; 02-14-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:53 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of pacesetters having this problem before....

Keep after it!

I dropped a camshaft retainer plate bolt into the oil pan almost 2 months ago during my cam swap and was able to get it out with a magnet too. I was super carefull with stuffing in rags and using a zip tie and tie wire and **** when i was messign with the pickup tube bolt, and it went in no problem. I was so excited that i got it done, i pulled the rags out, not 3 seconds later, i dropped a retainer plate bolt. It fell between the block and oil pump and went into the pan.

The worst had to have been when my dipstick tube broke off inside the block!

I've also broken 2 valve cover bolts off in the head, broken the coolant temp sensor off in the head.... ok i'll stop now.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I've never heard of pacesetters having this problem before....

Keep after it!

I dropped a camshaft retainer plate bolt into the oil pan almost 2 months ago during my cam swap and was able to get it out with a magnet too. I was super carefull with stuffing in rags and using a zip tie and tie wire and **** when i was messign with the pickup tube bolt, and it went in no problem. I was so excited that i got it done, i pulled the rags out, not 3 seconds later, i dropped a retainer plate bolt. It fell between the block and oil pump and went into the pan.

The worst had to have been when my dipstick tube broke off inside the block!

I've also broken 2 valve cover bolts off in the head, broken the coolant temp sensor off in the head.... ok i'll stop now.
Oh i've had plenty of stuff happen to me too while working on my other cars just not all at once like the TA haha. Dropped a little screw down inside the intake on my GTP glad the valve was closed, had alittle piece of gasket get down inside the injector hole on the GTP too when i put everything back together and i couldn't figure out why it was running on 5 cylinders.

But i'm keeping after it sucks i know have this set back on the headers hopefully it'll be warmer next weekend so i can get this bastard done and see how it runs. Should go something like this start it up drive it for a day break everything in, then the next day after its warmed up gas pedal to the floor should =