Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body/air valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy throttle body/air valve

Hey guys-new to the site so please bare with me.Got an 01 camaro ss and was reading how to build hp ls1/ls6 and chevy ls1/ls6 performance.they were mentioning about using the 85 mm id. throttle body from a non fly by wire corvette ls engine or a truck engine.But it doesn't say what yr or anything-left u hanging.So does anyone have part#'s and/or yrs.and from what body type and engine size.This was probably asked a million times but thanks either way.E-mail at Tom01SS@aol.com
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

With tuning and modifiying there is no difinative correct way. Yes you could do this, but there are other cheaper ways for similar gain.

Being as you have an 01 you have the later intake manifold. So to imporve the rest of the intake you only need do two things.

Get a lid for the air box (~$95) and port your own throttle body (free or ~$75). The paper filter is fine for 500bhp or K&N style ones can be used but offer little or no HP.

If you really want more power then you need to look at getting a different intake manifold such as the F.A.S.T. 90mm unit and a 90mm TB, but this will run near to $1500.

The stock MAF is fine also.

Check out the MOD GUIDE in my sig
Old 02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If you really want more power then you need to look at getting a different intake manifold such as the F.A.S.T. 90mm unit and a 90mm TB, but this will run near to $1500.

The stock MAF is fine also.

Check out the MOD GUIDE in my sig
Unless he goes with bigger cubes or a large cam that 90/90 setup is going to be a more show than go part. I'd say that would be one of the last things I did if I wasn't satisfied, then the next step to be FI or stroker. Even with going FI probably wouldnt get it because Corvette's can get the cooler superchargers! Dont get me wrong that intake will help alot on a stroker motor or a large cam application, but not on stock cubes and cam.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ummm well I hear different views all the time. It tends to go like this:

People who don't own a FAST 90/90 swear it doesn't make any more power on a 346ci engine.

Many people who do own a FAST 90/90 setup have seen very good dyno/track gains over a ported TB/Ls6 intake on a 346ci.

I honestly don't know the answer, but well over 90% of the people I've seen who say it doesn't make power are the people who don't own it and therefore have no proof.

True to make the most of it a good cam and probably head setup is required on a 346ci because they are the main restrictions in the setup by that point.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys;already have the lid and filter but saw in the book and was curious.So,are you saying there are mods to make fit or what-bigger size?
Again thanks.