Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 manifold or LT's + ORY??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS6 manifold or LT's + ORY??

The mods are in my sig. Should I get the manifold first?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say get the Lts and ory first, you will see more gains with that than with the ls6 manifold. look at sig for dyno numbers with full exhaust and lid.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was kinda thinking maybe I should get the LS6 manifold first because I won't have to tune it whereas if I got the LT's + ORY then I would have to tune it right when it gets installed right?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

I'd do the headers, like 00formls1 said, you'll see more gains. Funny thing is, you'll still need to tune with the intake to get the EGR code to go away. (thats if you still have it)
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

i say get both ... but ya get lt's and ory first, you dont have to tune for either of them except lt's for sniffer for smog. if you still have egr you will need and ls6 intake w/egr (now as well you will need to get lt's w/ emissions as well - air & egr)
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

If you want to feel a big difference and spend more $$$ go for the LTs+ORY. If you want to spend less money or not have the hassle of a time consuming installation, then go for the LS6 Intake Manifold. Both great mods.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I'd do the headers, like 00formls1 said, you'll see more gains. Funny thing is, you'll still need to tune with the intake to get the EGR code to go away. (thats if you still have it)
well I have a 99 so I'm sure I have the EGR...
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

i installed my headers back in may and still don't have a tune. i have a ses light because of the egr but the car runs fine. am running a little rich but a tune is not needed right away. you will benifit more if you get it tuned though.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
i installed my headers back in may and still don't have a tune. i have a ses light because of the egr but the car runs fine. am running a little rich but a tune is not needed right away. you will benifit more if you get it tuned though.
Ok, so I guess the LT's are next....I was thinking of pacesetter what do you guys think? Also what ORY to go with it?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

For power gains I'd get the lts and ory, but from what i heard about the gmmg cat back...it will sound like crap with headers and ory so in your case you could do the ls6 intake to keep your good exhaust sound. You woudn't need a tune either. I'm not trying to bash that exhaust...I'm just trying to pass on some info others here have repeated time and time again. Another idea is that you could try the catted y pipe with the headers.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Go LT+ORY, you will see more gains and you dont need to get a tune. Plus the sounds benefits of LT's/ORY/GMMG are amazing! Get the pacesetters and their ory as I believe their fitment issues have been corrected.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Ok, so I guess the LT's are next....I was thinking of pacesetter what do you guys think? Also what ORY to go with it?

i got my pacesetters headers and ory from texas speed and performance for 500 shipped.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
i got my pacesetters headers and ory from texas speed and performance for 500 shipped.
Thanks for the replys! V8hunter I've heard a few LS1's with the GMMG and LT's and ORY and TO ME it sounds SICKKKK, but thanks for your reply though
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Go LT+ORY, you will see more gains and you dont need to get a tune. Plus the sounds benefits of LT's/ORY/GMMG are amazing! Get the pacesetters and their ory as I believe their fitment issues have been corrected.
WHy did bad blu formula say I would have to get a tune and your saying I wouldn't??? So what is it tune or don't need it?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

A tune is not a must but just like 00form said, your SES light will most likely come on and you might tend to run a tad bit rich. Doesnt really hurt anything but eventually you would want to have the sucker tuned...
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

To your original question, get the LT's/ORY without a doubt. The LS6 mainfold benefits you most when you have begun to modify more heavily...it starts to snowball your gains and make them greater.

And to the tune question, it's always smart to retune your car when you slap on LT's. It's not a must, but you'll pick up a few more ponies, and you won't have to deal with the lights on the dash, or the constant smell of gasoline.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
WHy did bad blu formula say I would have to get a tune and your saying I wouldn't??? So what is it tune or don't need it?
THE reason he said you would need a tune is if you did the ls6 manifold you would be deleting the egr and that would throw a code. so a tune would get rid of the ses light.

there are 2 types of headers race headers(will throw a code) and then there are headers that have emmisions(won't throw a code) there is no difference in performance but there is a cleaner install with the race version
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

THANKKKKK YOUUUUUU EVERYBODY for the replies!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I have Pacesetter LT's, their ORY and a GMMG cat-back, im gonna warn you its loud and doesnt sound that great....lastly, the ORY fits good BUT I would not get it again because of the HORRIBLE merge...def go with another ORY pipe like the TSP one..its has a much better merge...you'll need a tune due to the fact that you're deleting your cats and possibly your EGR and AIR system.....If I was to do it over again,
1)I would get the Pacesetter LT's or QTP headers, TSP Y-pipe with cats and keep my catback or
2)just get Pacesetter LT's or QTP LT's and fabricate my own X-pipe dumping before the rear end
....good luck
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tkami129
I have Pacesetter LT's, their ORY and a GMMG cat-back, im gonna warn you its loud and doesnt sound that great....lastly, the ORY fits good BUT I would not get it again because of the HORRIBLE merge...def go with another ORY pipe like the TSP one..its has a much better merge...you'll need a tune due to the fact that you're deleting your cats and possibly your EGR and AIR system.....If I was to do it over again,
1)I would get the Pacesetter LT's or QTP headers, TSP Y-pipe with cats and keep my catback or
2)just get Pacesetter LT's or QTP LT's and fabricate my own X-pipe dumping before the rear end
....good luck
Yeah well I decided to go with the catted Y. I talked to my cousin that smogs cars and he said I'm better off going with the LT's and catted Y because he said it would be to f*ckin hard to pass. I have a question about the EGR...will I have the EGR when I get the LS6 manifold, Lt's + ORY??? Why doesn't the 01/02 LS1's have EGR???