Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEXtralia owners please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEXtralia owners please chime in

Hi,

I finally got this TEXtralia OZ700AB put in, but have some questions.

When I take off it almost feels like the clutch is spinning then it grabs.
Is this what they mean by "chatter"?

And I just read some more up on it and it will be there for the first couple hundred miles, so I hope that is it the "chatter'

I'm at 350HP at the wheels for now, but it seemed I had to really get it up to about 5+K RPM's just to grab a second gear chirp.

I also noticed with that 8LB allum fly wheel makes all the difference in the fact that you take your foot off the gas and it keeps going.

One more thing, it feels like my engine is at higher RPMS in a gear at a certain speed the n before.

Example:
Used to be 4th at 3000 rpm 65mph
Now it's at 63mph in 4th at 3000 rpm.

I went to a repitable shop in my area, I just hope it was all installed correctly.

I don't know if I should call him to re-check or what.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Brad
Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

u should be fine, maybe your mind is playing tricks on ya j/k just make sure that all the pressure plate bolts were torqued down correctly and loctite red was used.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If it was installed correctly, there is no slip feel before it grabs. The clutch actually takes some getting used to because it grabs so quick. There is very little pedal travel between when it starts to catch and when it locks up. In my 4000lb gto I can chirp the nitto dr's shifting into fifth at 135mph. If the clutch feels like it has any slip at all it was probably not installed correctly.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FigsZ28
u should be fine, maybe your mind is playing tricks on ya j/k just make sure that all the pressure plate bolts were torqued down correctly and loctite red was used.

Clutch sounds normal. It wll chatter a bit when engaging in 1st, especially if you're trying to slip the clutch. You are looking for a smooth engagement and the clutch wants to lock on the flywheel. It'll smooth out after a couple hundred miles.

BTW, if the pressure plate bolts were not installed right the car wouldn't want to shift gears. know this from experience now
Old 02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

ummm how many miles did you actually drive around with the clutch normally before you started doing your 5k dumps?!?

I drove normally ( < 3k rpm) for almost 700 miles before I even started banging on my clutch. Most people suggest breaking them in a little before you start beating on them. Oh well, probably a little late for that now.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Everything you're posting is the complete opposite experience I've had (and I'm pretty sure most other people).

"Chatter" is kind of hard to explain, but it's almost like you're driving really fast over a really bumpy road. The car just kind of shakes as the clutch grabs/releases very rapidly.

For me it didn't feel at all like there was slippage, in fact it was the opposite (chatter).

I could chirp the tires at much lower RPMS even when the car was basically stock, but I think it's more about how quickly you shift rather then how high.

The 8lb flywheel should be the absolute opposite of what you're experiencing. A relatively heavy flywheel such as the steel billet one takes a little more energy to get up to speed, but when you disengage the clutch it stays higher longer. Aluminums to a greater degree tend fall on their face when you push the clutch in due to their lighter weight (and therefore lower inertia). This is why most people dont' recommend them for street type vehicles.

If your clutch is installed correctly, you shouldn't be reading any different RPMS at at a given speed. If you were accelerating hard I could see maybe the clutch was slipping, but if you're just motoring around, I don't think the clutch would be slipping just a few dozen RPMS and remain at that level. Maybe your tire pressure is low?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Thank you all for the feed back. I guess I will just have to play with it some more. Maybe it's because I never felt anything different than the stock clutch before.
I will check air pressure in the tires also.
I drive her pretty hard but have really dumped it yet, just got the rpms up there..

thanks again
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

culo, chatter is a shudder, or shake that you will feel through the pedal, or sometimes the whole car. Its just an uneven egagement. Its sort off and on really quickly.

An aluminum flywheel sometimes take a bit of getting used to, but I want to make sure your aren't slipping, bolts loosening up, etc... So, can you send an email to admin@textralia.com.au and give all the details to Pete and everyone else so they can make sure you have no other possible issues.