LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tubes question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tubes question

Simple question, but have yet to see it answered...

I always see people post that if you have emissions, dont go with Long Tubes because they relocate the cat... What if there is no visual inspection of the cat placement (because theres only a handful of F-Bodies over here).

Do the LTs change the gas flows to not pass emissions?

I can post my emission results/requirements if that would help anyone tell me if I can or cannot pass with long tubes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you got to figure that most of the people working in the shops arent going to know about every car, and where the cats are supose to be located.

i've herd of people having issue with the cats not heating up enough to be effective... but i've passed with long tubes and cats without any issues.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
well you got to figure that most of the people working in the shops arent going to know about every car, and where the cats are supose to be located.

i've herd of people having issue with the cats not heating up enough to be effective... but i've passed with long tubes and cats without any issues.
Yeah I know I dont need to worry about the placement of the cat, just thinking about the distance to the cat etc... I mean you figure LTs make the most gains performance wise, so they basically have to change the amount of gases passing through the cat (at least how I see it).
Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can't relocate the cats too far away from the engine or they will not heat up enough to work properly.some places are okay as long as the sniffer is happy.In the Y is fine.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
You can't relocate the cats too far away from the engine or they will not heat up enough to work properly.some places are okay as long as the sniffer is happy.In the Y is fine.
Alright, thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Launching!

i was wondering the same thing but i have a 97 with obd2 and they dont give a sniffer test for obd2 they just plug into the diagnostics port. if i just eliminate the rear o2 sensors and cat with a pcm tune so it wont throw a code will that work or not?
thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After reading this thread, and thinking about how emisssions testing plays such a big role in a lot of peoples choices for vehicles...I think we should create a list of all 50 states and weather or not they have emissions laws and if so, which ones (sniffer, visual, ect...). Anyone else think so?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hambone 7
After reading this thread, and thinking about how emisssions testing plays such a big role in a lot of peoples choices for vehicles...I think we should create a list of all 50 states and weather or not they have emissions laws and if so, which ones (sniffer, visual, ect...). Anyone else think so?
that will be a big list... it goes by wich county you live in
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Well Im sure in Europe you dont have to worry about the location check at all... And Im not even sure with the 95 where there is only 1 cat if the cat moves at all, just thinking about the sniffing.

Quick Reply: Long tubes question