Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima Battery Problem

I have a yellow top battery sitting in my garage for a while now. I tried it on my truck and it started up right away and I drove to work fine. But then when I got out of work, I tried to start it for the second time but it just went dead.

Is it just a trash now or can it be charged?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back! I bought a red top for my car (see sig) and it went dead in under 3 months. I charged it and it lasted for about 8 months then I went to Sears to buy a DieHard and told the guy there and he said he would exchange it for free. So if this piece of **** will last long enough to get my money then ok but I dont think it will. A buddy of mine put one in his 73 Vette and it died on him as well but Sears replaced it too. I have heard of other guys getting them and no problems with them but I would still take it back to Sears and get a new one. For $125 ****** dollars you would think they would last ALOT LONGER!! This probably didnt help but I wanted to tell you of my experience with them. I wont fork out the cash for another one thats for sure
Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure there are no loose connections. Charge it up and see if it holds a charge again. I hope you didn't store it on the cement floor of your garage. If so, that would kill the battery.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Take it back! I bought a red top for my car (see sig) and it went dead in under 3 months. I charged it and it lasted for about 8 months then I went to Sears to buy a DieHard and told the guy there and he said he would exchange it for free. So if this piece of **** will last long enough to get my money then ok but I dont think it will. A buddy of mine put one in his 73 Vette and it died on him as well but Sears replaced it too. I have heard of other guys getting them and no problems with them but I would still take it back to Sears and get a new one. For $125 ****** dollars you would think they would last ALOT LONGER!! This probably didnt help but I wanted to tell you of my experience with them. I wont fork out the cash for another one thats for sure
Calm down!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Resident

i bought my car over 2 years ago. right before i bought it, a new wal mart POS battery in it. like i said, it's been running for over 2 years and i have a system pushing ~400 watts, no capacitor or anything, all straight battery and alternator. so far the battery has held up fine and when it goes, whoop die doo i'm out what, $40? haha, don't waste your money on those stupid batteries. they're worthless.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Resident

i bought my car over 2 years ago. right before i bought it, a new wal mart POS battery in it. like i said, it's been running for over 2 years and i have a system pushing ~400 watts, no capacitor or anything, all straight battery and alternator. so far the battery has held up fine and when it goes, whoop die doo i'm out what, $40? haha, don't waste your money on those stupid batteries. they're worthless. i hear GREAT things about advance auto's batteries. i hear they're cheap and great for systems and longevity. when my wal mart battery dies that's where i'll be buying my next one.

damn double posts...site lag...
Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw a charger on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

How long has it been, we sell those at my work and they usually come w/ a 3 year 84 month prorate warrenty. If you bought it at a parts store just take it back and they will test it and either A> charge it back up for you B> give you a new battery
Old 02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Make sure there are no loose connections. Charge it up and see if it holds a charge again. I hope you didn't store it on the cement floor of your garage. If so, that would kill the battery.

Thats exactly what I did.

The battery came in a car that I bought from my friend. I dont think he even has a reciept.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Storing on concrete is not as much an issue with the AGM's (advanced glass mat), especially the Optimas. And actually, leaving on concrete itself is really not a problem in general - it's usually more related to the fact that they really ought to always be on a power source and if it's sitting on your garage floor, it's usually not being powered.

In general it's really hard to damage an optima battery. I've seen them melt a forged-steel wrench that was dropped on the terminals without damaging it. I've deep-cycled them down to 4V (definite no-no in general) many dozens of times without damage.

Worst case you may have to recondition it. If you've got a charger and a way to discharge the battery you can do this. First discharge the battery until it's 10V under load. Then put it on a charger immediately. Absolute ideal is if you have a beefy 3-stage (or more) charger. In a pinch, a constant-voltage charger will do, especially if it's got a high amperage (I've done this with upwards of 40 amps). Then discharge it again down to 10V and charge it back up. By this time, it should be in pretty good shape again.

I spend inordinate amounts of time researching, testing and using batteries. Far-and-away the best one on the market is the optima.