Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 exhaust note

why do LS1/Lt1 cars sound crappy depending on what exhaust you put on them. it seems like they are hard to get to sound good. i havnt heard to many thatsound good at cruising speeds, only at wot because they have that wicked noise. some sound nice all around and some just sound hideous at all times.

i had an 86 mustang and i had crappy dynomax mufflers on it with an or h-pipe and shorties and it sounded good, then i went with race bullets dumped and it still sounded good, it seems like no matter wht exhaust setup on a mustang it always sounds good.

why is it so hard to get an ls1 car to sound decent, i just dont get it

at least it will be easier getting an ls1 into the 12s unlike a modular 2v motor.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure I read in another forum it is do to the firing order of the Mustang that makes it sound better. How true this is I'm not sure.

But what does it matter how you sound? It only matters how the rear of the car looks for all the others to follow.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i guess i better put some nice exhaust tips on if i want it to look nice for the ppl im smoking (which will be almost everyone of my friends)

but one thing i will admit is when i heard an ls1 car with a cam go wot by me, it was very intimidating.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Resident

Get a cam...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

aluminum block and firing order have affect on the sound of the exhaust note. A cam would help breakup the deisel truck sound at idle, but nothing you really do besides true duals will make the WOT note sound any different.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i was mainly curious just to see why it was so different, nobody could ever explain it to me. i never knew the firing order made the difference with the exhaust note, i guess you learn something new everyday.

i would love to try to get true duals, i want some qtp long tubes, 3 in o/r x-pipe, with some magnaflows and tailpipes ran under the axle with some nice 3.5 inch tips.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't have it all, gotta give up somthing

I think the GM engineers built the f-car and after they were done someone goes "AWWWW **** where are we going to put the mufflers?" and another guy goes "hmm let's run a y-pipe, hang the muffler off the back, and only have!" Another guy goes "Yeah! Then let's have 2 pipe running out of that muffler so it wont look like we f#$%ed the goat!". Then the boss sneezed and they thought he said yes........

I agree that f-cars sound like crap compared to mustangs most of the time. I think it can usually be blamed on the y-pipe though. Vettes/GTOs don't sound bad at all IMO. We have, however, come out with a few clever mufflers that can make y-pipe cars not sound like tractors so much.

Just get a fat cam and true duals and you'll be set! Duals would have been very nice from the factory though.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know about you guys, but i like the way my car sounds. If i wanted my car to sound like a mustang, i would have bought one.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mustangs have sound. Camaros have power. I've always been told it is because of the odd firing order and the y-pipe doesn't help anything. Have you ever noticed how different a LT1 sounds compared to a LS1. Seems like the best way to make one sound good is a cam and true duals.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDP
why do LS1/Lt1 cars sound crappy depending on what exhaust you put on them. it seems like they are hard to get to sound good. i havnt heard to many thatsound good at cruising speeds, only at wot because they have that wicked noise. some sound nice all around and some just sound hideous at all times.

i had an 86 mustang and i had crappy dynomax mufflers on it with an or h-pipe and shorties and it sounded good, then i went with race bullets dumped and it still sounded good, it seems like no matter wht exhaust setup on a mustang it always sounds good.

why is it so hard to get an ls1 car to sound decent, i just dont get it

at least it will be easier getting an ls1 into the 12s unlike a modular 2v motor.
Its not a true dual exhaust thats why.I went with the hooker cat back and now it sounds great at any RPM.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Its a V8 it sounds like a V8 then who cares, all V8s sound nice most of the time. Stop being so fucken picky. Jess anyways you want to talk about shitty sounding cars that are american?

My Vote VIPER sounds like ****!

But I like how it sounds, but at the same time I think it sounds like ****. Lol if you catch my drift......
Old 02-15-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by swoleguy
Its not a true dual exhaust thats why.I went with the hooker cat back and now it sounds great at any RPM.
That wouldn't explain it, because the LT1's sound good IMO.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

I think iron blocks have a little nicer sound to them. I think stangs with a good setup can sound amazing. Probably the only reason I like them.

Duals sound great but I hate them. 3" pipes on a lowered car just doesn't work for daily driving. The sound is too loud because it exits right under your seat.... and your always scraping, and cops wont fuking leave you alone, and you have to drill into the body....etc. My face is turning red typing this shitdjkafkljdsf

love my ride but this is always going to **** me off.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:06 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Get a cam...
Inconsistency sounds good on these motors.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I agree that f-cars sound like crap compared to mustangs most of the time. I think it can usually be blamed on the y-pipe though. Vettes/GTOs don't sound bad at all IMO. We have, however, come out with a few clever mufflers that can make y-pipe cars not sound like tractors so much.
I don't see the Fixation with duals is. Yes they have positive sides to them but there not like a be all and end all.

Many many cars run Y pipes and they can also sound good. I have one on my TR7 V8 and you really wouldn't call it a tractor as it sounds great when going down the road. Maybe a little raspy when you mearly rev it up, but that's because it really needs some load on the engine. Plus it's an aluminium block.

The sound (not tone or volume but actual sound) of the LS1 is not really due to the exhaust setup, but more so to the engine its self. If the firing order is different then yes it will have a dramatic affect on sound.

That's why single plain V8's like Ferrari's 4.3 and TVR's 4.5 sound very very different they scream as opposed to rumble. This is because they have an even firing order over all 8 cylinders. A traditional V8 doesn't it has an uneven firing order.

But sound is personal so each to their own.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

It was the same thing on the third generation Camaro/Firebird as well. I think mainly, among some of the things already stated, it is the exhaust system design of the F-body that can't produce that "certain sound" that the true dual design the V8 Mustangs have. Liken it to listening to a boombox, set it right in front of your face and hear it play music in mono, now switch it to play in stereo. Which would really sound better?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:06 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

vipers do sound awefull,and ive head an lt1 at the track last time i went and it sounded very umm.. clanky i guess i would say. i guess it just denpends on the exhaust setup to get it to try to sound nice. it seems like ls1/lt1 car have an either you love it, or you hate it exhuast note.

i have a buddy who has an 87 mustang and he completly hates gm, and he always rips on f-bodies for everything and always talks how sweet his mustang is. i didnt tell him yet i got an f-body, i want to get him to the track so i can race his *** and ask him how the exhaust sounds when he is behind me.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have an '87 mustang gt convertible (I know, I know) with mid length headers, off road h-pipe and 40series flowmasters. That car was slow as **** but sounded incredible.....admit it, those crappy motors can sound sweet!

I had always been disappointed with how my camaro sounded, but the power usually offset the sound. I recently changed my exhaust AGAIN (last time, I swear! ) to pacesetter lt's with 2.5" true duals into 1 chamber flowmaster mufflers dumped at the axle, and it actually sounds very similar to my old rustang, only much deeper and louder. This is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on an ls1.....no raspy "firecrackers in a coffee can" sound under mild acceleration that I had with all my y-pipe setups. True duals are the only way to go if you want the best sound IMO. (sound clip is coming soon........)
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I used to have an '87 mustang gt convertible (I know, I know) with mid length headers, off road h-pipe and 40series flowmasters. That car was slow as **** but sounded incredible.....admit it, those crappy motors can sound sweet!

I had always been disappointed with how my camaro sounded, but the power usually offset the sound. I recently changed my exhaust AGAIN (last time, I swear! ) to pacesetter lt's with 2.5" true duals into 1 chamber flowmaster mufflers dumped at the axle, and it actually sounds very similar to my old rustang, only much deeper and louder. This is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on an ls1.....no raspy "firecrackers in a coffee can" sound under mild acceleration that I had with all my y-pipe setups. True duals are the only way to go if you want the best sound IMO. (sound clip is coming soon........)
i agree, I have td's w/ 1 chambers and all I can say is Hell yeah!!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I will have to agree mustang sound > LT1 LS1 sound. But i HATE the sound of flowbastards on a 5.0 i used to like them hell i used to own some flows on my stang now i guess it's cause everybody and their brother run them they all sound the freakin same. That's why i run LT's prochamber with some 3" produmps on mine most go for the LT's h-pipe flowbastards.

jmm98LS1 - I will over look the fact you called the 302 crappy but don't feel bad i've changed the stangs exhaust a crap load. 12 different combinations of exhaust piping mufflers and headers have been installed on it till i was happy lol.

I will have to wait to make my final decision after i have our TA back together though . I do like the sound of a built LS1 too.