Purchasing vehicles from out of state

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purchasing vehicles from out of state

Has anyone purchased a vehicle from out of state?? How much and what exactly do I do to register in the great state of Texas? Any advice on what shipping company to use??
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

When i bought my car, my bank which is what my loan is through got my license plates and whatever else they did, and all i had to do was get it inspected. I think it cost around $750 for the bank to get it registered in Texas, dont ask me why it cost that much because i dont have a clue. This all happened december of 04. Hopefully that helped some. Forgot to say the car was from Oklahoma if that matters.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I got mine from an individual and had him write me a bogus sales reciept for a smaller amount than what I actually paid and only payed about $100 in taxes and then whatever it cost for registration.

Go to your local courthouse they should be able to tell you what you will need and how much to expect to pay.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You simply buy the car out of state for the asking price, but do not pay sales taxes or registration in that state. When you get the car to Texas, you simply take the bill of sale (receipt) and the title to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and register it in your name and get the title swapped to a TX title. Then you pay sales tax (6.25%) based on the selling price shown on the receipt.

Tony
Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I checked shipping costs from Cleveland, OH to the south side of Houston and the cheapest I found was between $700 and $800. They said to expect 2 to 3 weeks for the delivery. I chose to fly up there and drive back with my brother. We made record timing driving back...it was around 1400 miles, drove straight thru the night. Do like some of the other guys have and get them to fill out a bogus sale agreement for a much cheaper price. The guy wrote right on my title how much I bought the car for and caught me off guard before I could say anything. So I am trying to figure out a way around paying the full price to transfer the title. I am not sure if there is anyway around it?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not that I know of. What is on the title is what Paul Bettencourt, your friendly Tax assessor/collector, is going to charge you the 6.25% tax Tony mentioned, I believe. I did this twice last year.

You have to have insurance on it first, then pass safety and emissions in TX. In that order. Dont forget that, or lord help you, you will stand in the tax line twice.

However, there is an upside - the tax you pay on the car (minus reg fees, and plates etc) is tax deductible for you in 2007. Keep your documentation.

One more thing - if you wait too long, the tax guy will charge you extra for not registering within mmm it is either 30 or 45 days of change of ownership. I left the country right after I bought an out of state car and came back and did registration, and blammo - more paying!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Great info on paying the registration late...
Old 02-15-2006, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I registered a few late, but told them the car was inoperable and a parts car until the day I registered it. They didn't charge me a late fee then.

"It had no engine when I bought it, I just got it running yesterday. No Ma'am, it hasn't been driven on the street yet."

Old 02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
"It had no engine when I bought it, I just got it running yesterday. No Ma'am, it hasn't been driven on the street yet."

Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

I just bought my GTO in Louisianna in Dec '05. The dealer's loan took care of Texas tax, tags, and plates. Although they haven't come in yet, the paper-plates expire Feb 16 (90 day temp. plates for out of state buyers). Shipping can be a problem. When I had my '68 Cadillac delivered from AZ, it cost a TON of $, took forever, and they left the top down when it rained. I was un-happy. Do yourself a favor and drive it home.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CrAacKker
I checked shipping costs from Cleveland, OH to the south side of Houston and the cheapest I found was between $700 and $800. They said to expect 2 to 3 weeks for the delivery. I chose to fly up there and drive back with my brother. We made record timing driving back...it was around 1400 miles, drove straight thru the night. Do like some of the other guys have and get them to fill out a bogus sale agreement for a much cheaper price. The guy wrote right on my title how much I bought the car for and caught me off guard before I could say anything. So I am trying to figure out a way around paying the full price to transfer the title. I am not sure if there is anyway around it?
You might try calling the dude you bought it from and see if he would file for a lost title, {which here I think is aroud ten dollars and takes only a few minutes}. Have him send it to you with just a signature and fill out the rest yourself. Just a thought!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man everything was working out fine. I was going to fly up there and drive it back its only 10 hrs from topeka Kansas to Houston. The only thing that fell through is that my credit union, the Shell Federal Credit Union does not finance out of state vehicles from private sellers?? What should I do, yank my money and go to a bank and get a higher interest rate???
Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thread from the dead. but its a similar question but this time its financing a vehicle from out of state. They want to give me a personal loan= higher interest rate. Is there a way to get a better rate than 11% i have a 690 credit score
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Bought my vette in Los Angeles registered it in CA drove it home and just registered it a year later, just had to pay the sales tax in CA. It depends on the car and its value. I use State farm bank and insurance, they just wrote a check for what i needed to the seller. I flew out there gave him he check and filled out a little paper work (it was a small used car lot) and hit the rode home. If i trailered or shipped it i wouldn't have had to register it there but since i was driving it , it was the law.

Last edited by socal; 05-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LawHorn
thread from the dead. but its a similar question but this time its financing a vehicle from out of state. They want to give me a personal loan= higher interest rate. Is there a way to get a better rate than 11% i have a 690 credit score
I just purchased a 2002 SS from out of state (GA) about 2 months ago. I was able to finance it through my credit union. They had to make an exception for me do to the car being older than they normally finance. I have been with them for over 20 years in good standing, so it was just a formality. I got 4.99%.