Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Problems inside....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Problems inside....

i have a 2001 ws6 6spd i bought with 55,000 miles on it about 3 months ago.
I am having problems with the tranny and need some advice. The car drives perfect and shifts fine until you nail it, sometimes it will let you shift sometimes not. I can run form a 20 roll go from 1st to 2nd and let off and it will sometimes not let me shift out or into another gear. when this happens i usually push the clutch in coasting and rev the motor a couple of times and it will let me get back into a gear then it shifts fine all the way home any help would be great, i was thinking slave cylinder or air in the line?????
Old 02-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Teching In

yeah i want to no to mines kinda the same problem.when u really run it hard does the clutch hang almost on the floor?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

if it upshifts okay, maybe takes a little extra effort, but you have to rev it to downshift then you probably have and synchro going bad if it's isolated to one gear. if it's all then it could be your clutch.

there are 2 easy ways to test
1. to test if its a synchro when you downshift say 4th to 3rd take it out of 4th into neutral let the clutch out and rev the motor to the RPM you think it will be at in 3rd at what ever MPH you are going the quickly push the clutch back in and put it in 3rd. you might want to try this with all the gears or which ever one you think is giving you the most trouble.

2 to test if the clutch is realeasing. come to a complete stop in neutral and then try to put it in gear once you are fully stopped if you can't kill the motor and try to put it in gear if it goes fine once the motor is off it's probably your clutch.

hope this helps. alot of this you might already know, if so and you still can't figure it out let me know.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try bleeding the clutch. mine was the same when i got it. when i get on it it was very hard to shift quickly sometimes wouldnt either till the RPM came down and it would slide in. i would start there. if it shifts ok otherwise then i would be willing to bet its a clutch disengaugement prob. just my .02
Old 02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

i know when i test at home in the driveway ( i have enough room to 60' test in my driveway) i can nail it in first hit 2nd and stop in nuetral and it will not go into reverse or go into any other gear at all, if i sit there a min or two rev the motor it will then let me into a gear and then shifts fine, when this happens i can smell the clutch pretty bad. It does it almost everytime i run the nitrous if i spray from a roll in 2nd i can usually never get it to go into third so i push the clutch in and coast until it will let me get into any gear i can get it in. i forgot to tell you that this car has a new trans it and the previous owner said he had a performance clutch installed the same time as the trans, and i bet they put the old slave back in when they changed all this.....what do yall think??????? he had know clue what clutch was put in it, i'm almost to the point of dropping the trans
Old 02-16-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've got hydraulics that could not be bled all the way or possibly a pressure plate that's binding. Either way if you're smelling clutch everytime you get on it then it's probably time to pull the trans and have a look.