General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Popping sound from front end

Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound from front end

For the last maybe two months, there has been a popping sound coming from my front end. I notice it as I back out of a parking space, etc. It only seems to do it on tight turns. The strange things are that it'll only do it for 2-3 times after I drive the car. I'll drive around to listen to it and it'll only do it a few times and then doesn't repeat. It also seems dependent on how cold it is, and how long the car has been sitting.

It's a very noticeable sound, and it seems to be getting worse, as in louder. No change in steering feel at all, at any speeds. Ideas?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody? It does it turning both directions.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Same sound, but never wanted to admit it! Figure it had something to do with the joints in the front. Interested to hear what comes up with this post though.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Could possibly be your balljoints...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Is there anything that I can check out myself?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this EXACT same problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Check your lower control arms. Tighten or re-torque both bolts on your bottom control arms. I had the same problem with mine and tightened them two bolts and it went away. I am not sure what the torque spec for them is so you may have to look them up. But if you dont have a 1/2 inch torque wrench use a pretty long handled ratchet because they need to be pretty tight. And if it isnt that then maybe a ball join or something.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Could possibly be your balljoints...
Yeah hes right. My dad had that same exact problem with his 91 Camaro, it ended up being the balljoints.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula_X
Yeah hes right. My dad had that same exact problem with his 91 Camaro, it ended up being the balljoints.
Outside of taking the balljoints out and feeling them by hand I forget how to test them (if even possible), but they will make a popping/clank noise... I had this driveway where it would drop 2 inches where it met the sand, so I could always back up my cars onto there, slow down and when the front wheels would grab there, you could feel the car still move and there would be "play" in the front ball joints.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that sound in the rear due to solid rod ends. If you have any kind of aftermarket suspension expect that type of noise. Now if it is stock, I suggest that you check the bolts on your A-Arms and lower control arms. Maybe you have a shitty motor mount as well? Good reason to get some poly's!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Launching!

if you are getting the popping noise, and u can kind of feel a looseness when it makes the sound, its most likely a ball joint. to properly test the ball joint do the following... jack up the cars front end. your going to need a long strong rod like a metal pole or something. now facing the car from the front, get down, and put the pole length wise under one of the front tires. so the pole is going front to back. now pull up on ur end and watch the bottom ball joint to see if it moves in its little rubber housing. if the whole joint moves, they are good. if the bolt in the ball joint is letting it move it is bad. u will know it when u see it. GM says .50 inches is a bad ball joint but no one ever measures this cuz almost all ball joints have SOME play so its a moot point. hope this helps!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I have the same popping noise and while I was changing rotors I tried moving the wheel(with it still bolted to the car and jacked up) and it moved around about an inch diagonally up and down. I was guessing it was the balljoints but Im not too keen on suspension so I was going to get an opinion or two before I go buy them. The car is parked now Im pretty sure with that much play in the wheel it can't be safe.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Teching In

I hade same problem, new upper balljoints fixed it. lift the car up and try to move the front wheel, if there is some play, pull it apart and inspect the ball joints. mine were bad enough that I could move the ball with almost no effort. NOTE: of your car is lowered, expect upper balljoint life to be MUCH shorter. also if you pull it apart, use a puller and avoid a pickle fork, it will tear the boots allowing dirt in and the grease out, leading to premature wear.

Search this Thread