Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when no OD on a 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do when no OD on a 4L60E?

Tranny rebuild recently at a local shop - actually, 3rd rebuild in 3 weeks. Tranny shifts perfectly 1-2 and 2-3. TCC lockup occurs in 3rd. Everything works/shifts/downshifts as expected but it will not shift into OD at any speed or any throttle position. I thought it might be a linkage problem, but it won't do OD even if I move the shift lever between OD and N. I would assume solenoids are fine since I have all 3 other gears. What mechanical parts should I check? If I have a Tech2 or similar scanner hooked up (I haven't yet) and it indicates that the PCM is commanding the shift into OD, what would be the next logical step for diagnosis? I read (using SEARCH ) that it's possible a seal or o-ring on one of the apply pistons may have been messed up upon assembly. This sound familiar/correct? I just want to have an idea of where to start.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

Start with the servo cover, remove it and check the fourth piston.

But how do you get three transmissions in three weeks? Anyone ever think of taking one or two of them apart to see whats failing? That right there is the problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Start with the servo cover, remove it and check the fourth piston.

But how do you get three transmissions in three weeks? Anyone ever think of taking one or two of them apart to see whats failing? That right there is the problem.
I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday, as they were the ones who installed the fourth piston in the first place. They are a great shop and are standing behind the work. It was one transmission, but they had to pull it and reinstall it 3 times in 3 weeks.