Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

does anyone know what is causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know what is causing this?

Alright, back in late December I drove to Massachusetts from Virginia, and on the way, my car wouldnt shift into reverse. I took it to a tranny shop and they told me it was becuase I installed the clutch loose and it was only grabbing on half the side. So they installed a new Luk clutch, and I was sent on my way. It did shift alot better, I took care of breaking it in on the way back to Virginia, but now I am having other issues.

Whenever I am driving in any gear, and doing less than 2 grand, if i take it to WOT, the car starts shaking violently and backfiring like crazy. If I leave the clutch in and go above 2 grand, it is fine, but what does this mean? Does this mean that this clutch is messed up as well?

When the stock clutch started going bad, it would just act like it was in neutral when I took it to WOT, I could only gradually accelerate. Well, If anyone has any information to provide regarding this issue, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like gears would fix that right up. 4.10's would do the trick.

Seriously, sounds like you're just bogging the motor below 2k when you throw it to wide open throttle, and then at 2k the motor catches up and takes off. Bogging the motor is an indicator that your clutch is working as it should in this instance.

Your last paragraph perfectly describes a slipping clutch. If you experience that, do not drive the car, as slipping causes heat, heat causes stress, stress causes fractures, fractures cause clutches to explode.

I'd look at other factors for the bogging... plugs? wires? condition of optispark? clean mass air sensor wires (shiny & silverish, not black & fuzzy)?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:06 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts