General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunk from the center...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clunk from the center...

i'm gettin a clunking noise while braking or when backing out of a spot. it seems to happen when the weight of the car if shifting and it really feels like it's happening about where the torque arm hooks up to the tranny. i've changed both the tranny mount and the T/A mount with poly but the noise is still there. i'm thinking it could possibly be the motor mounts because i know those are bad. but i was just wondering if anyone had any similar problems.

thanks in advance,
bill
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

for me it was my tranny whenever i would get on the gas and make it shift at a higher rpm it would clunk. SO i replaced the tranny mount which anyways was squashed to crap so that was fine, but it turned out my tranny was slipping and would actually clunk and bang under the center counsole, but i also have 165,000k so ....... But otherwise just check all the bushings( trannt, torque arm or motor, even check the muffler mounts too sometimes they will clunk underneath.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squall01
i'm gettin a clunking noise while braking or when backing out of a spot. it seems to happen when the weight of the car if shifting and it really feels like it's happening about where the torque arm hooks up to the tranny.
Have the exact same problem here. I'm guessing it is the tranny mount, or maybe motor mounts, but I haven't figured it out just yet. Thing is, on my A4 car, when the tranny mount went, the tranny would bang against the floor under heavy throttle - and my car is not doing that.

Happens when backing out of a spot, particularly uphill. And right before coming to a stop with a hard brake application.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Might want to check the lower control arms...If a bolt is loose can do that...I have aftermarket LCA's and the weld around the bushing broke and would make a clunk under the car(sounded like under the passenger seat).
Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Might want to check the lower control arms...If a bolt is loose can do that...I have aftermarket LCA's and the weld around the bushing broke and would make a clunk under the car(sounded like under the passenger seat).
Hmm, that does make sense - it explains why I get the clunk when reversing, particularly when reversing uphill. I've got stock LCAs, but the bushings have been replaced.

And if a motor mount was bad, I would think that I'd see the engine rising up an inordinant amount when revving the throttle by hand. And if a tranny mount was bad, I would expect the banging on the floorboard (though that was with an A4, I'm not sure the M6 does the same thing)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Checked the rear suspension out, LCAs and everything else appear tight. Same amount of bolt threads showing on each side, no visible tears in bushings or cracks in metal, etc...

So I poked around the front suspension - I spotted what looks like a tear in the bushing where the rear point of the lower control arm mounts to the frame - could that be the cause of this? Clunk just before the car stops when braking hard, and a clunk when reversing uphill. No clunks on WOT 6000rpm shifts(and I think if something in the rear was loose it would sure as hell clunk then).
Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

they could also be too tight and be binding. tighten to 70 lb ft and grease them. its possible that the bushings are shot.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
they could also be too tight and be binding. tighten to 70 lb ft and grease them. its possible that the bushings are shot.
You're referring to the LCA bolts on the rear suspension, right? I'll give it a shot. They are relativley new (Summer 04) OEM rubber bushings.

Any thoughts on that torn bushing on the rear arm of the front suspension's LCA and whether that could be the culprit? Of course since it has a visible tear in it, thought it is small, I will have to replace it just for peace of mind.