General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Had an Odd Problem This Morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Had an Odd Problem This Morning

While driving from work to the gas station my radio cut out... I turned it back on and didn't think much of it... A couple miles down the road all the dash lights went out, and came back on. The car was still running just fine though after the usual dash lights went out *by usual I mean the ones that come on and go off when you first start the car. I made it to the gas station, turned off the car and pumped my gas. When I got back in the car, I put the key in the ignition and turned it and got absolutely nothing.. No dim lights.. just nothing at all.. Tried this several times and still got nothing. I got out checked the battery terminal connections etc and they were fine. I got back in, waited a couple seconds, put the key in and it fired right up. It idled low (600-700rpm) for a few seconds until I gave it some gas and then it idled fine (~1k). I drove it to the galley for breakfast and when I came out after eating it started up and drove just fine. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

It's a 2002 Z28 M6. Also, the battery looks to be the original AC Delco, and the voltage meter was reading normal when the car was on.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with the volt meter reading normal it could still be a problem with the battery (or another problem all together). If you have anyplace around you that can test the battery, have them test it. Around here we have a place called Battery Warehouse where they will test the battery. They do two tests, one is cranking power I believe, and the other is testing the battery under load.

There's a fuse for the dash lights, if that fuse blows, the car won't start (I found that out the hard way...) If she gives you problems not starting, check that fuse, it's in the fuse box on the side of the dash.

The possible causes I'm thinking it could be are battery, loose/bad electrical connections someplace, or possibly something with the security system but I doubt it's security...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep! What he said. When lights and power accessories act funny, it's usually a sign the battery is dying.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

the stock AC delco battery's have a bad habbit of the positive side post just falling off...might want to look into that.