LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Comp Cams - horrible service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp Cams - horrible service

I know this is from one experience, but man did this **** me off

I have been learning up on and trying to decided what cam if any I want. A buddy that has a lot of experience building Lt1/ls1's spent about an hour educating me on cam numbers, meanings, and other information. Gave me Smokey Yunicks book to learn more on my own. He told me to contact Comp Cams on their help line, be ready to tell them exactly what I was looking for in a cam, future plans, current setup, and everything and they would be able to give me some cams that would best fit my application.

So I call them today, after being on hold for 15 minutes, I get someone.

me: Yes, I am wondering if I could get some assitance on what cam you guys would suggest for my application
Comp: What motor?
me: 5.7L LS1
Comp:What transmission?
me: Automatic 4L60E
Comp:What heads?
me:Stock
Comp:Go with 54-414-11, thank you for calling comp cams
me: Wait, ok...so Don't I need springs with that
Comp: Yes, get springs
me: Ok, so what kind
Comp: Hold......Get 26915-16 thank you for calling comp cams, goodbye

What the hell kind of service is that?? Ask me some damn questions, at least tell me the specs the cam is since thier website doesn't have it listed!! Or hell, just talk in a fake I like my job voice, I really don't give a ****, just be professional about itand don't make me feel like you can't wait to get me off the phone!!

The bad thing is, when I call the shop and ask them to look it up and give me the specs, they said it lists as discontinued!! WTH man?? My buddy at the shop was in a hurry so he couldn't get me the specs, so to keep this relevant for the section does anyone know the specs on this cam? Part Number 54-414-11. Also gave me 26915-16 for the springs. I know there are other things I will need they didn't even bother saying.

I will say, first impressions are not looking good IMO!! I am sure they get a lot of tards that don't know dick and just want the biggest thing they can get from the dyno that couldn't pull a big wheel down the street untill 5k RPM's, but at least give me the benifit of the doubt.

Well I got the specs (216/220 - .525/.532 w 1.7 rocker - 114 LSA)

It seems a lot lower then all my other research has brought me to think I wanted. Damnit!!

Last edited by FirehawkNS; 02-17-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my 4th cam from them.... I hope this all works out for you...

Here is the info I found... It uses their Extreme RPM lobe profile. VERY mild...

Duration @ 050" Lift: Intake 216, Exhaust 220

Advertised Duration: Intake 269, Exhaust 273

Valve Lift with 1.7 Rockers Intake .525, Exhaust .532

Lobe Separation 114

Last edited by SideStep; 02-17-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I just put a Comp cam in an A4 corvette, and mine was a little larger than yours. I did heads and headers at the same time, so I can't tell you what the cam alone did for me. My specs are 224/228 .581/.588 114+1, and these are XER lobes. I used 918 springs and hardened pushrods. After a tune I had 393 rwhp and 370 lb/ft torque. I didn't have a 'before' dyno, but I obviously gained 100+ rwhp.

Idle is set to 750 rpm and it lopes slightly; i.e., just enough to know it's not the stock cam. The power band starts at about 2500 rpm, and the tuner worked with the shift points to keep the 1st-2nd gear change in the power band. I'm now contemplating a stall converter and maybe 3.42 diff to really have fun with the launch. I don't know though, because my MPG really took a big hit already!

Your cam will add power below 2500 rpm, but won't have quite the benefit at higher rpms. It just depends on how you want to drive the car.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Your cam Taylor is what I am thinking I am wanting, I just wanted to talk to someone and tell them what I am expecting so they can better educate me on my decision.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking about lunati new Voo-Doo cam for my Z28. Not big but sounds like a nice street/strip for an A4. Also not a comp cam fan
Old 02-17-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After the first " thank you for calling comp cams" I would have asked his name and then called back to speak to whoever is in charge and let them have it.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I called both Crane and Manley recently about an adjustable pushrod. I then called Comp to get tech support since I bought their adjustable pushrod. Everything Comp told me not only contradicted what Crane and Manley told me but is was plain old wrong!!! Plus I got the same short "snobby" type of answers. Crane and Manley both spent a lot of time with me on the phone even though I didn't buy their product and they might have thought my questions were stupid. One of my questions was how to account for the hydraulic lifter compression during a swipe test. Comp tech support told me to guess!!! Needless to say, I am not impressed with the Comp tech support at all and your experience bears mine out and mine wasn't the first time I have run into this with them. They really need to do something about this, because their tech support plain old sucks and I avoid their products for that very reason.

I also had a problem with some of my Crane parts, not only did I get help from Crane tech support and Vinci, but Mark Campbell spent a lot of time with me on the phone as well. In my mind, service after the sale is half the battle, and you can't even get it before the sale. Good grief
Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been on the phone with Comp customer service several times and I didn't have the problems you guys have had. Each time I talked to a rep they were more than willing to talk to me until I was finished asking questions. I got a similar size cam recommendation from both Comp and Crane for my application. Neither of them recommended a cam even with the lift of the 02 Z06 cam for a daily driver car. They were both in the .535 lift range with their recommendation, but I do have the 1.8 rockers. Really, I have yet to call a vendor/supplier about LS1 parts that they have not bent over backwards to answer my questions. My Name Is Earl - CARMA?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you right now that comp cams has the worst customer service line in the business. If you have not called them, dont! There is like 1 person there that can objectively assist you, everyone else just wants to give you an opinion of what they think and not listen to what you are looking for. I had them tell me to get a 236 238 @ 050 for a max effort 408 stroker i was working on for a friend. I called back a few months later, and afterbeing on hold again for nearly 25 minutes got told the wrong answers. The people dont even know what cores they have, you can tell them the lobes you want ground on a cam and one person will tell you they can grind it and the next person you talk to wil tell you then cant.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

I feel your pain, Last fall I was shopping for a cam and had worse results. I called Rapid Motorsports and Mike squared me away.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I would like to say that Some one from comp cams saw this or another thread I made and shot me an email to rectify the situation. Hadley from Comp Cams gave me a call and we discussed my options. He basically verified what I was thinking I needed and it feels good to get someone to confirm what you think you had decided.

Thank you to comp cams (Chris and Hadley) for helping correct my situation with you guys. It is greatly appriciated.

Nick
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

I never ordered a cam directly from Comp Cams; however, I did contact their warranty service department regarding a set of Comp Cam 918 springs - one of which broke prematurely and was part of an old discontinued batch. They were very helpful and squared me away. His name was "Red". At least their warranty department appears to be ok.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams - horrible service