Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Y-Pipe Fitment Issues?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default QTP Y-Pipe Fitment Issues?

I've been thinking about getting either QTP or Kooks headers with my tax money. I've been leaning more towards the QTP ever since they lowered the price and polished their headers. They look great! The problem I'm having is the Y-pipe. Everything I've read after searching leads me to believe that the QTP catted Y-Pipe is a pain in the *** to install. This is more evident without the benefit of a lift, which I don't have.

I like the way the Kooks Y-pipe fits and the Magnaflow cats are supposed to be quite efficient. The other option is to have a custom Y-pipe made, but I'd rather not do that. It's much nicer when it all comes in a box ready to install.

What's everybody's opinion about the QTP Y-pipe vs the Kooks Y-pipe vs having a custom Y-pipe built? If you have pictures of your set-up, please post. It's very helpful to other as well. Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have QTP 1 3/4 header and catted Y-pipe. Headers will go up like a breeze as long as the front end of the car is high off the ground.There is one piece of pipe on the drivers side if play with it you'll get all the clearance u need. U cant beat the price of QTP headers there the best,so why not buy the best. Good Luck
Old 02-17-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

the driver's side of my ory hangs low but it doesn't bother me. it can easily be adjusted to give me more clearence.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ditto. I did mine on the ground. Just get it high, safely, and take your time adjusting it. I recommend the Mufflex hanger, so you can push the pipe as close to the body as possbile.

Good luck.

Oh yeah... QTP ;D
Old 02-18-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Go QTP, at first I had some fitment issues with my ORY but after assembling it on the ground before I put it on it all slipped into place. On my stock ride height z28 I have about 4" of clearance at the lowest point. Only time I scrape is at this bank entrance by my house which kinda resembles Mt. Everest.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everybody
Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was not happy with the fitment of my qtp y pipe. no clearance at all, even after adjusting it 3 times. if i could do it again i would have done a custom y
Old 02-21-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i have been hearing just go custom ory for the same price or cheaper, but i always hear great things about the headers!! I dont know if i want to learn the hard way and try their ory and see what happens, for some reason their ory cost 100 bucks more than kooks ory, which is weird.

anyone find another direct fit ory thats cheaper?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

lowered 1.5" with the QTP ORY...Got it into the best possible fitment and welded it up...Just takes careful driving over speed bumps, and entering parking lots...Got about 1.5 -2 inches of clearance on the drivers side...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

a freind of mine on this site has the QTP headers and Y pipe with dual e-cutouts. he also has the Eibach prokit on the car. The car looks and sounds awesome but there has been a few problems with clearance. Infact the Y pipe has been pulled off the drivers side header two or three times now. He bottomed out pretty bad in town @ like 10mph or less and we think that it may have bent the y pipe. Now it seems to vibrate its way off the header about once a week. He got tired of messing with it and just decided to have the y pipe tack welded to the header in a couple of spots so that it won't pop off again.

I personally love the look of the QTPs but like said above you really got to be careful on a lowered car
Old 02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a bad experience with QTP's dual cutout ORY. I can't speak for the regular ORY but I could never get mine to bolt up to where I was happy with it. And when I was able to get halfway decent clearence it would bang like no other against the underside of the car.

Now in there defense I do not have QTP headers, but for this purpose they have two different pieces that come off of the driver side header for each application. When they first sent it to me they sent the wrong piece, so I had to call and get them to exchange it. So they sold my a y-pipe that was supposed to fit hooker/jet-hot headers and in my opinion after reinstalling/wrestling it numerous times it did not.

I contacted QTP about all of this and all they did was send me the piece I should have gotten in the first place, as for fitment they were no help. I was very unhappy with their service and will not buy from them again. I will be buying Kooks for my next set of headers.

This was my experience and many people are happy with QTP's products. I am simply saying that you may get lucky or you may not.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everything fit except the driver's side piece that connects onto the head collector. It would not connect and still miss the SFC. I just had my local muffler shop mandrel bend a new piece that would fit perfectly. I tried getting everything lined up with perfect clearance by lying on the garage floor but it was not working. I even had the car 30" in the air. I ended up taking it to my local exhaust shop and we put it on the lift and installed it. Using the lift makes it alot easier. We got it to tuck up pretty nicely also. Not worth $500 IMO as it takes alot of work to make it fit properly. For $500 my buddy told me he could have made me an awesome custom mandrel Y with the Flowmaster Merge.

The QTP headers are top notch and feature a merge collector design that no other Fbody header does. Their Y pipe's are also hands down better than Kooks and feature a true merge collector. My QTEC was crap though and broke a few months after I bought it.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

I got Kooks and the ORY has good clearance. I believe their ORY has the best clearance of all the ORY's. I'd definately go Kooks again. Their headers are good too.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Launching!

My qtp ypipe makes a good boat anchor , 600dollar piece of ****. Now i can understand the design it is good yes. The fit is **** and thats more important to me .it actually cost me power on the dyno due to setting off knocksensors , should have bought their headers instead
the bullshit that goes on these threads saying that their qtp ypipe tucks up under nicely is garbage(and many other things), either their car is raised or they smashed their floorboards up into the car with a sledge hammer. Not trying to knock qtp but im completely upset with my sloppy fitting ypipe and smashed qtec cutout.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Does this apply only for the catted qtp y pipe or for all the qtp y pipes??
Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TMOWS6
Does this apply only for the catted qtp y pipe or for all the qtp y pipes??
Mine was the dual cut out y-pipe.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The qtp y-pipe sucks... I had to cut mine up and weld it together to get any clearence at all. I´m thinking about buying kooks y-pipe now.

Search this Thread