General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Questions

Am i in the right place for this?

i made a post earlier about a p0404 code. I think my EGR is on its way out. its a 99 6m z28. I had the code read at a pep boys for 20 bucks and the light SES light stayed on for about a week. Two weeks ago it went off and has stayed off but hasnt been drivin muc with the snow in Jersey. I need to get the car inspected. It came from pennsylvania and was recently inspected there only a few months ago but i need to do it in new jersey. My question is how do i correctly go about resetting the PCM as i have been told even tho the ses light is off the code will still be held in the computer. Is this true and what is my best way to go about clearing the PCM without tuning or having codes removed?

thanks a bunch
Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Teching In

The P0404 code reads: EGR Flow CKT Range/Perf, so you're probably correct in assuming your ERG circuit is faulty. Sometimes your SES light will go off if the code has been displayed for a while, but it will stay in the computer. Best way to get rid of the code is to fix the problem (duh!). If you want to reset the code, you will need a OBD II tester - you can get one cheap on Ebay. These testers will save you a lot of money in the long run, so you should invest in one.

Where in New Jersey are you? I'm in PA and have a tester. If you're close enough, we could meet and I can rest your code (but you really should get the problem fixed).

BTW: AutoZone will read your codes for free. What a rip by Pep Boys charging you $20 to read 'em!

Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you know someone with a predator tuner they can read and clear codes on 99-02 F-bodys
Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I tried pulling the pcm ignition and battery fuses. Left them out for about an hour and when i started it back up after puttin the fuses back in I still didnt have an SES light. Dont know if pullin those fuses actually did anyting but if i replace the egr myself how do i pass inspection if those codes are stored? Is this where i need the tester or predator or w.e? My only fear is goin through inspection failing and being told i need a certified shop to do the work. EGR is simple 2 bolts and a harness i dont really want to spend 3 or 400 bucks to have a shop do something so easy.

I am in the paramus area in New Jersey.

What does the obdII tester actually do?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the problem clears up on it's own, on some codes the PCM will delete the code after so many cycles without the problem reoccuring (don't know how many cycles tho)
The tester simply translates the code stored in the PCM to something you can read, used to be it was the ses light that would flash if you stuck a paperclip in the connector, now you need a code scanner
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you can also show the receipt for the part at the testing place. if you fix the problem(or the MIL goes off) it stores the code as a history code, not an Active code. as long as its not an active code and you have a receipt for the repair or the part if you do it yourself, the inspector has no reason to not pass you. it takes 40 "test ran and passed"(normally 40-50 igntion cycles) occurences for most codes to clear from the history also.