LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header question

i have a 1997 z28 when i bought it it had short tube headers on it, with the stock y pipe and cats. i want to get either a better flowing y pipe but all i can find is the random tech which is a little much at almost 600. are there any other options for a ypipe to mate up to my shorties? i really want LTs but i have to deal with emmisions, my question is with obd2 they do not do a sniffer test just plug into the diagnostics port so if i got a set of LT headers and a ory and had my mad28 pcm tune to eliminate the rear o2s and eliminate the cat would i be able to pass the plug in test or do i have to have the cats? i need your opinions here i have done a lot of searching but can not decide what to do. if i got mid lengths is there any y pipe that i can get that will flow better and sound better than the stock y pipe.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You sound like you're in the same situation I was in about a month ago. I live in NJ and I'm not sure if I can trust everyone else's opinion on passing the emmissions test with LT's. And I'm definitely not going to rig up my exhaust to cheat through the test. So, what I did was buy PaceSetter Mid-Length Headers (which fit directly in place of stock manifold), and a Random Tech dual-catted Y-Pipe (which matches with the headers, and matches the rest of the exhaust). I can't find any other catted Y-Pipes that fit underneath a '97 other than Random Tech and Stainless Works. I just got my Random-Tech Y-Pipe for $550, which is a pretty good price (if you're still willing to pay that much).
Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Don't spend all that money on a choked up catted small exhaust. If you are OBD-II you can basically do whatever it is you want and just have codes deleted out of your PCM and you will be fine.