General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light comes on, off, and now on again?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light comes on, off , and now on again?

Yeah, I plan on getting it scanned, but I am starting to believe that it is the gas cap. The manual says that if the light stays on with no flashes that it is the gas cap not being on tight enough. This makes sense though. When I went to the gas station to fill up yesterday, I untightened the cap and there was no sound of vapors escaping (which there usually is). Also, the cap has never felt like it was on tight enough anyway. So I would bet that the new cap I put on (which I was going to put a locking cap on it anyway) should do the trick. Oh well, I am getting it scanned regardless.

Blake

Last edited by I <3 80057; 02-18-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think gas cap failures are pretty rare. I asked the guy at the inspection station how often he had to fail a car for a bad gas cap, he said once or twice. Of course, this was only his experience. Let us know after you get it scanned.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Need more info here to give you a good answer. How long is it between the light coming on and then going off? What is the code. Autozone can scan it for you for free. Are you using premium from a quality gas station. My bet is poor quality gas. Use premium from BP, shell, or other major company. A SES light that comes on and is not flashing can mean many things, not just gas cap.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Banned

Yeah, but the cap that was on it was very loose feeling. This locking one feels like a tighter fit. The light came on when I was driving back from class the other night. Then the next night around the same time from class it goes off and yesterday it came back on when I went to town to run errands. I am about to head out to the AutoZone and see what the damn deal is. The car drives, runs, and sounds fine.

Blake
Old 02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Well, it is the oxygen sensor.

TROUBLECODE OBDII (ALPHA) P CODE

TROUBLESHOOTING P0137

The oxygen sensor in bank 1 is too low for current operating conditions.

So, no biggie.

Blake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SES light comes on, off, and now on again?