Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

better or worse gas mileage with true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better or worse gas mileage with true duals?

it seems to me that you would get worse, maybe slightly though, but worse gas mileage.

guy at work says better; anyone care to chime in?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, I can attest to the drop in gas milage do to TD's. It seems that everytime I am in the car this thing comes over me where I just want to constantly stomp on the gas just to hear my car roar down the streets....could it be that this is why my gas milage is so low?? someone plz help me stop this addiction before it eats me out of house and home
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get worse gas mileage. I have know scientific proof of this except for the simple fact that you will love to hear the exhaust note so much your foot will always be on the gas thus causing poor fuel mileage.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
Yes, I can attest to the drop in gas milage do to TD's. It seems that everytime I am in the car this thing comes over me where I just want to constantly stomp on the gas just to hear my car roar down the streets....could it be that this is why my gas milage is so low?? someone plz help me stop this addiction before it eats me out of house and home
You beat me to it.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blue01ta
You will get worse gas mileage. I have know scientific proof of this except for the simple fact that you will love to hear the exhaust note so much your foot will always be on the gas thus causing poor fuel mileage.
If you want to save gas milage, leave the exhaust alone
Old 02-18-2006, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

You beat me to it.

I couldnt resist....I love me Duals for the simple fact that not only do I get a headache everytime i drive but the person 10 cars back has a headache to
Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
I couldnt resist....I love me Duals for the simple fact that not only do I get a headache everytime i drive but the person 10 cars back has a headache to
Then again who really mods these cars to get better gas mileage? That's what Hondas are for.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Then again who really mods these cars to get better gas mileage? That's what Hondas are for.
exactly, i was just thinking to myself as to whether or not I should get extensions put on my rims to make the rears 17x12 and was like wel then i cant rotate my tires. and then i thought who the hell cares!!!! it would look better
Old 02-18-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

it's just the principle of the matter guys... trust me, gas mileage is not a factor (even though they do get good gas mileage for what they are)
Old 02-18-2006, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

ok in all honesty I would have to say that when driving normal, since I had to make a highway trip recently I got exactly the same if not a lil better gas milage with the duals on. Furthermore, in town it has been the same, now i do tend to get on my car at least twice a day but even so I am getting pretty consistent milage and it isnt that bad at all maybe between 18-20 city and 28-30 highway at 65 in 6th, yes i do have an M6.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

I had every bolt-on and free mod you could do - that worked - no cats, duals, and a PT4200 TC(with 3.42 gears) - in my '01 fully loaded Z28. I routinely got 18 mpg in Dallas stop and go traffic. Got 23-25 hwy - depending on how fast I was driving.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
it seems to me that you would get worse, maybe slightly though, but worse gas mileage.

guy at work says better; anyone care to chime in?
WTF

Duals will not have an affect on MPG any more than a Y pipe will. Sure go from a STOCK exhaust to a dual setup you may see a variation + or -. But you'll see the same variation going from STOCK exhaust to an aftermarket Y setup.

Provided both setups peroform the same in terms of flow rate and exhaust pressure wave the engine will have no idea if it has duals or a Y pipe attached to it.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
WTF

Duals will not have an affect on MPG any more than a Y pipe will. Sure go from a STOCK exhaust to a dual setup you may see a variation + or -. But you'll see the same variation going from STOCK exhaust to an aftermarket Y setup.

Provided both setups peroform the same in terms of flow rate and exhaust pressure wave the engine will have no idea if it has duals or a Y pipe attached to it.
i'm asking about true dual exhaust setup vs. STOCK setup, nothing more
Old 02-18-2006, 04:42 PM

You should improve gas milage with any exhaust mods. I gained 1-2 mpg with headers. The foot in it issue is true. If it causes you to drive more agressivly, you will loose gase milage.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

With a lid(better breathing), and duals(better flowing) - you may get better mpg, depending on how you drive.

My car was stock internal, and I'm pretty sure that if I JUST changed the torque converter and gears, it would have negatively affected my gas mileage. I think the intake and exhaust mods helped offset that on my car... Tuning the car didn't help or hurt mpg - which I found odd. Helped every way else though.

You just can't beat a car you can drive 200 miles to a track with - change tires, run 11.40's N/A, stock internal, at 3350 lbs - and drive back home getting nearly 25 mpg with the A/C on. Wish I still had it.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Well in that case then you'll probably see better mpg to begin with at least. As stock most cars tend to run rich, if you can lean them out a bit then you should see more mpg. However, due the the fact that induction & exhaust mods improve breathing when you get on it you will be using more fuel.

More power = bigger bang
Bigger bang means more fuel used.

Either way though I really don't think you'll see any difference that's worth worrying about.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

I gained 3 MPG with LT's and TD's. Not sometimes, all the time. I gauge my mileage at every fill-up and it is routinely 3 MPG better than I used to get. I didn't change my driving style...so all things being equal you should see an improvement.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

The consensus here is correct.

Mechanically your gas mileage will improve because yoru engine will run more efficiently (assuming the tune isn't too far off after headers), but your driving style may negatively impact.

The real MPG loss comes from high stall speed converters, steep gears and big cams. Oh, yeah, and a heavy foot.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
More power = bigger bang
Bigger bang means more fuel used.

Please explain how True duals equals a bigger bang.

If you're having trouble its because this is bogus.

True duals will increase your engine's pumping efficiency. With that said, the difference is minimal at low RPM (read: fuel concious driving).
Old 02-20-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VORTECFCAR
Please explain how True duals equals a bigger bang.
Maybe I hgot it wrong, but surley if your engine makes more power then something must have cuased it.

TD's arn't like removing an air con pump which is actually using up existing bhp, they help remove restriction and generate bhp. Therefor at WOT I assume there must be a bigger bang (in essence) to generate the more power.

Quick Reply: better or worse gas mileage with true duals?