Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 intake install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 intake install ?'s

hey guys i've searched, and didnt find much, and i'm going off ls1howto.com to do the install, my question is i noticed that if the intake is the non egr version you have to do away with all that obviously, i have the coolant pipe but i dont think i have the plugs not sure what they look like ill try to post pics of the parts i have. and as far as removing that goes, when you take the egr hookup off the pass side headers ( i have hooker LT ) it says you need a block off plate, what would this look like ??? i just want to do it right and not be in the middle of it and find out i am missing something thanks for your time on a pretty basic question guys.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

ttt? need something guys.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Teching In

the plugs look like whats on the tube that you connect to the front of the heads except they are not hooked to the tube. they are just single plugs. the egr plug is just a piece of metal that is cut to fit and bolt over the egr hole on the header. i grabbed a piece of aluminum traced the outline of the egr gasket and cut it out and drilled the holes to match.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe speed inc has the block-off plates.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need the coolant plugs for the rear (think there's a pic on SLP's site). My buddy got them from the dealer when we did his. You also need the EGR block off plate for the pass side header - you can buy one or trace it and make your own, looks like the air tube gaskets (w/o the hole) only slightly larger.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

alright i guess i just didnt see the coolant plugs in the bag when it was sent i got to looking and saw them. i got the intake off here, is there any serial # etc that i can check to see if it's the actual ls6 intake? so all i need is the block off plate, would a GM dealer sell them or would i have to make some / order some aftermarket? thanks guys.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your hooker LTs didn't come with a EGR Block off plate? If not, they're not hard to make (I made my air tube block-off plates out of an old liscense plate). Or, you can order it from a sponsor-they're cheap. Dealership won't have it.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
Your hooker LTs didn't come with a EGR Block off plate? If not, they're not hard to make (I made my air tube block-off plates out of an old liscense plate). Or, you can order it from a sponsor-they're cheap. Dealership won't have it.
didn't figure a dealership would have it since it would be for an aftermarket application, but worth a shot. one what collecter is the EGR hookup usually on? i'm not even sure if the headers came with the block off plate, i didn't install the headers ( took it to the muffler shop to have a ORY fabricated and bought, and he said he would install, and make me an ORY for 200$ so i said what the hell it saved me time! ) so i'm not sure if the EGR is usually hooked up to the LT's or if it's normally blocked off after an install, i'll have to look and see here in a bit, is the EGR the only hookup on the pass side header and again, what one?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

From what I can remember about this mod (it's been awhile) all of the "LS6" intakes are flat bottom. Is yours? That was pretty much a telltale about the intakes. Make sure you have an F-body intake and not a Vette intake, though. There are no TB provisions for an F-body application on a Vette intake.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW i just put an LS6 intake on this weekend on my car and used the stock LS1 coolant tube. you can make them fit. i did saved like $50
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

well i bought mine already from a guy on the board named timmy2stage, came with the coolant plugs and all. i'm sure ill notice a difference when i get it off on the bottom i suppose, he had it on a camaro so not worried about it not fitting so much just wanted to " double check " and make sure it was a ls6 intake though thats why i asked, not to be rude to tim, but just for peace of mind
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a big *** piece of stainless steel plate behind my house that's about 16 guage or so. I have cut 4 different block off plates for people from it. You can use the gasket as a template, trace it, cut it out, then drill for the bolt holes.

I made a whole set for my AIR/EGR on my manifolds before i got headers, and i made one the other day for my buddies cobra. I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel, then used a stone wheel to smooth out the edges, then a wire wheel, which leaves a nice polished finish.

I would NOT recommend using the LS1 coolant pipe. It will go on and seem like it fits fine, but it will have the fragile intake in a bind somehow and possibly crack it, or not seal properly. Go to the stealership if you have to, tell them to pull up the coolant pipes from a 2002 SS or somthing, then look at the screen and point out to the dumb asses which parts you need, i've done this **** countless times. The proper front pipe, curves out to clear the bottom of the intake manifold, and the rear "plugs" look just like the ends of the pipe, but they are just blanks with no holes, and no pipe coming out.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jabroni
From what I can remember about this mod (it's been awhile) all of the "LS6" intakes are flat bottom. Is yours? That was pretty much a telltale about the intakes. Make sure you have an F-body intake and not a Vette intake, though. There are no TB provisions for an F-body application on a Vette intake.
My LS6 intake is off of a corvette....and it's the LS1 intakes that have a flat plenum on the bottom. The LS6 is rounded on the bottom, which is why there's no room for coolant tube
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have it backwards. the LS1 style 97-00 are rounded in the center and the 01+ are flat all the way across. that is why it is hard to make the coolant lines fit (LS1 ones) on the LS6 intake.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

ls1 intake has a rib right down the center. ls6 is FLAT on the bottom.

A vette intake is ok all you have to do is us a nut and bolt to hold the throttle cable bracket on instead of just bolts