Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC Failing? What now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Failing? What now?

We think the TC has/is failing.. Yank SS3400 (2 weeks old) making a noise similar to loose parts rattling around inside.. ( can't be good)

What do I do.... Obviously I will be sending it back to Yank... but what about the Tranny? Should I be concerned.... do I need to now rebuild the tranny?

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Have you checked the TC bolts? I had one back out one time and it made a lot of noise. If the thing grenaded itself on the inside and sent bits of shrapnel into the tranny, you could have problems. Drop the pan and see what you find. If it's clean, your tranny should be fine.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:27 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the tc is blown up the metal from it is probably damaging the pump.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you also installed a new flex plate with the TC, then that is your problem. The powder coating cracks away causing the flex plate to loosen up at the crank and TC.

I'd be shocked if you actually broke the stall converter. There's just not much inside to create the sound you are describing.

You will need to grind the powder coating off at the bolt areas and reinstall it. My TCI flex plate did the same thing. Good luck!

Keep us updated.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When does it make this "rattling" sound ... is it mainly at idle? If so, and you didn't install an aftermarket flexplate, then chances are your OEM flexplate is now cracked along the crank bolts. Typical problem with OE flaxplates. Pop off one of the inspection covers on the trans and see if you can diagnose it, otherwise you will need to pull your trans out to verify.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
When does it make this "rattling" sound ... is it mainly at idle? If so, and you didn't install an aftermarket flexplate, then chances are your OEM flexplate is now cracked along the crank bolts. Typical problem with OE flaxplates. Pop off one of the inspection covers on the trans and see if you can diagnose it, otherwise you will need to pull your trans out to verify.

Yeah, checked all the bolts.. bolts still torqued and loctited.. and yes still on the stock Flex plate.. it only makes the sound when it is idling and you put it in gear and hold the car like at a stop sign or something... any gear... and when we put it on the lift and applied brake and put it in gear.. the sound was right at the TC.. Can't hear it above idle when moving.. but then again.. I can't hear myself think above idle..(TSP Tru-Duals are LOUD)we will drop the Tranny this Sunday and verify... I am going to go ahead and order a new Flex just for grins. If it is just the flex.. WHOOT!! something simple....
Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 PM

That's a good point and I bet it is the stock flexplate. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sabre
Yeah, checked all the bolts.. bolts still torqued and loctited.. and yes still on the stock Flex plate.. it only makes the sound when it is idling and you put it in gear and hold the car like at a stop sign or something... any gear... and when we put it on the lift and applied brake and put it in gear.. the sound was right at the TC.. Can't hear it above idle when moving.. but then again.. I can't hear myself think above idle..(TSP Tru-Duals are LOUD)we will drop the Tranny this Sunday and verify... I am going to go ahead and order a new Flex just for grins. If it is just the flex.. WHOOT!! something simple....
Yup, it is your flexplate that is cracked, I am almost willing to wager on it.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

You might also check your o2 sensors and your Cats as I have seen many Cats rattle and the same with a loose o2 sensor
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Yank
You might also check your o2 sensors and your Cats as I have seen many Cats rattle and the same with a loose o2 sensor
Cats?.... what Cats....
Old 02-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Update...
well it wasn't the Flex...(replaced it with a TCI anyway) Dropped the pan on the tranny and it was absolutely clean.... no metal or sparkly bits at all..
the Tranny fluid is only a few weeks old and looks brand new...

The converter however, When you spin it/turn it ... it sounds like broken christmas ornaments in a box.. and you can hear bearings rolling around in the case... it's going back.... and I may just get my money refunded... and stay with the stock TC... the 700 I paid for the TC I could use to cover all the additional labor/towing/parts expenses.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 AM

man I am totally shocked on this deal. I would have lost big money for sure had I bet anyone.

I've seen the internals of several converters and it's just an unlikely situation. There's just not a lot of things to break loose inside a stall converter really.

I'm glad you got it figured out though. I'm also glad you shared your findings.

I'm sure Yank will do you right.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre
It's going back.... and I may just get my money refunded and stay with the stock TC... the 700 I paid for the TC I could use to cover all the additional labor/towing/parts expenses.
Order a Fuddle for $350-400 and you may not be out too much money. It would be a total drag to spend a buttload of cash and still be stock ...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Teching In

update.... well the stock TC went back on...unfortunately dbris from the Failed TC was floating in the fluid in the pump... and when the car sat the fluid drained and the debris settled into the pump... Needless to say when the car was started the pump ate itself... SO now due to the failure of a NEW TC we have to rebuild the tranny or replace it... Great.. just Great... I think a sponsor owes me a tranny.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
What causes the flexplate to crack? I have about 300 miles on my new tranny/converter. There is something loose in my exhaust so that is rattling and I cant tell if the tranny is too or not. What would I be looking for when pulling of the inspection covers?

Edit: When the exhaust isnt rattling it seems to be quiet, but its hard to hear over the exhaust note.