Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Input shaft chewed up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Input shaft chewed up?

Hey folks just wanting to get some info.

My clutch was getting next to impossible to get into gear at high rpms, then eventually even just shift it was a challenge to get into gear.

I just picked up a new spec stage 3 clutch, flywheel, master, slave and hydrolic lines ( drill mod to be done to it ), and mosure 3.73 gears.

I dropped it off today at the tranny shop doing the work, and he said that the main seal was leaking and would need replaced, and the Input shaft was chewed up and need also replace ( and all parts that this includes ).
I had it looked at about 3 months ago at another tranny shop, where mysteriously they pointed out the leak, which was not there the previous weekend when I changed the oil. They stated the clutch was fine and just baby it more???
Glad I went somewhere else.

Question I have is that two people I talked to about this said that it is pretty hard to chew that up without intervention of some kind. Anyone out there have more info if the Input Shaft can get chewed up?

2001 camaro SS M6, with 82k miles, one trip to the drag strip, occasional messing around on the street and maybe 5 times I ever goofed and burned the clutch.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

I rounded off two of them because the splines let go many times with my mcloed twin setup. But that doesn't sound like your problem.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kick_*ss
Question I have is that two people I talked to about this said that it is pretty hard to chew that up without intervention of some kind. Anyone out there have more info if the Input Shaft can get chewed up?
I dont know what those two guys are talking about, its not hard at all to have the input shaft chewed up, most likely your pilot bearing went bad, where the needle bearings come out and just cause some havok on the input shaft, happened to my car, lucky i was able to clean it up and not have to replace it.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have them check the crank for run-out while they have it out just to be safe. It's possible your leaky rear main could be caused by this which would also cause the input shaft to flop around regardless of the condition of the pilot bearing. If it has excessive run-out you'll usually feel it as vibration, but that's not always the case.

Other causes for the input shaft getting chewed up could be a disc with a hub material harder than the input shaft binding and stripping the splines off the shaft or the input shaft not being aligned in the hub properly during installation.

Quick Reply: Input shaft chewed up?