Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tips for my GMMG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What tips for my GMMG?

I recently added Pacesetter LT's and ORY to my car. I have a GMMG cat-back with the 2.5" slash cut tips. It sounds awesome at idle and WOT, but part throttle sounds like ***. It sounds like some old truck with 1.75 pipes. All poppy and crappy sounding. Any suggestions as to what tips might help my sound? The oval GMMG tips are $150 ...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

my uncle has same problem,, switched from gmmg to loudmouth,,got worse. gotta go with true duals or cats to take care of problem were told
Old 02-21-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Tips don't do much, if anything at all, to sound. Your problem is not the shape of the tips. More open tips do not make it louder, and smaller tips do not make things quieter.

Your problem is the ORY. Without cats, it creates rasp in that Y-pipe. Add some cats in and I can guarantee you'll enjoy it much more.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Tips don't do much, if anything at all, to sound. Your problem is not the shape of the tips. More open tips do not make it louder, and smaller tips do not make things quieter.

Your problem is the ORY. Without cats, it creates rasp in that Y-pipe. Add some cats in and I can guarantee you'll enjoy it much more.
^^^ All good information here! ^^^

I feel that people give the all-mighty GMMG too much credit, especially when they do other exhaust work. I really hate to see people spend all that money on it, then be disappointed.

Search Ebay for 3" magnaflow cats, they can be had for a little over $50 a piece, and will make your system sound a LOT better. Tips are not going to help your sound. I've heard GMMG with ovals, and with slash cut rounds, they both sounded the same.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Teching In

I don't believe what I am hearing is rasp. I am not looking for a change in volume either. The sound is hard to describe. Just think of an old truck with about 2 inch pipes. That poppy sound. It changes if I remove the tips.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacock
I don't believe what I am hearing is rasp. I am not looking for a change in volume either. The sound is hard to describe. Just think of an old truck with about 2 inch pipes. That poppy sound. It changes if I remove the tips.
Trust me, it is the ORY that is making it that way though.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

sell the gmmg and get a hooker catback, only catback i know that sounds good with an offroad pipe.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

just put some cats back on the system and it will sound alot better...if anything, put some hi-flow cats on...thats why it sounds the way it does. with the exception of tru duals, any system will sound a little crapy at part throttle with no cats.

i have GMMG with kooks Lt's and ORY aswell and know what your talkin about...but im cammed so the sound is really music to my ears...but i know alot of people might not like that....but i do.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the ORY+LT's+Cam sound!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Teching In

This isn't the car in my sig....that thing has been gone for a looonnnggg time. It's another '99 with a little 220/226 Comp and some other bolt-ons.

Well, I did ask a question and I got an answer, just not the one I wanted to here.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

This isn't the car in my sig....that thing has been gone for a looonnnggg time. It's another '99 with a little 220/226 Comp and some other bolt-ons.

Well, I did ask a question and I got an answer, just not the one I wanted to here.
Trust us. We've all been around here long enough, listened to enough clips, and seen enough cars in person to know all about these kinds of things. You described it as a "poppy" sound, but said that it isn't rasp. Not sure why at all the tips would effect any of that sound, for they are simply shapes on the end of the piping.

Cats should indeed change that nasty popping sound a bit. Has the car been tuned at all with that cam? Maybe it's running a bit rough or something and it's the problem you're having.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Trust us. We've all been around here long enough, listened to enough clips, and seen enough cars in person to know all about these kinds of things. You described it as a "poppy" sound, but said that it isn't rasp. Not sure why at all the tips would effect any of that sound, for they are simply shapes on the end of the piping.

Cats should indeed change that nasty popping sound a bit. Has the car been tuned at all with that cam? Maybe it's running a bit rough or something and it's the problem you're having.
^^ yes, please trust us on this...we all deal with it. when you mention cruising speed its a dead give away....wheres the rpm's when your "cruising"...between 1300 and 2500 rpms i bet and thats the range that everyone hears this dreaded drone noise.
trust me when i tell you, putting the cats back on will help it tremendously...it might even be worth the 5-10 wheel hp you lose from putting them on to make it a little more bare-able. hope this helps...goodluck.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I've changed tips on numerous vehicles in the past with mixed results. It's similar to an instrument.

The noise is ONLY present at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Not at cruise or decel or anything. My old '99 had rasp out the *** which a bullet mostly cured.

The car is not tuned, but runs great. I am a tech myself and the LTFT's are near perfect in most conditions per my Snap-On scanner.

I'm not doubting anyone or trying to argue. I've heard a few raspy LS1's and mine just doesn't sound the same as those.

Don't judge just my post count. I've been here longer than most. I'm a full-time lurker.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Every 1 allways gets a ORY using a GMMG exhaust. and then wonder why it sounds like ****?? wonder why.. When GMMG created this exhaust it was with using cats. Not with out them. To get that ultimate sound if you wish to have a differ sound and dont want cats. what can anyone say but get a different exhaust. Other then that do what ppl say Add CATS.