Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Shovel pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel pics.

Bought a new camera yesterday, mine got stolen, or lost somehow. I turned the house inside out this weekend looking for it. So I snapped some test pics of the Chevelle last night. Some of you expressed interest in seeing some pics. Yes, I know it needs work. That's the plan this summer, get it on the road. I'm in the process of clearing out the garage so I can walk around the monster without tripping over all kinds of ****. Upgraded the lighting this weekend. Nice and bright in there now.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f64/NWShovel/
Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome looking project car you got there. I always loved the 66-67's.

So what are your plans for it?

Mike
Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Dang Rick, that thing is a few parts & a pint job away from being a KILLER hot rod! I love old Shovels. Although it doesn't have an LS1, and it looks like someone stole your fan & fuel pump...
Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Mikey, I have a long laundry list of **** to do. This is just of the top of my head.

Yank the tranny and re seat the stall converter. Check and reset the valve lash for the solid cam. Cam specs are 255/266 @ .050, 296/304 adv duration and 534/540 lift. It's a bit lopey. Do some re-wiring of the headlight relay area. Get the alternator wired up correctly. Re-check the rear end set up. Get some new upper control arms for it. The Hotchkiss adjustable ones on it now only have 1-2 threads engaged and that worry's me, so I'm just going to get the non adjustable type for now.

Clean, clean, clean and more cleaning. It's filthy as hell right now.

I need to get the rusty top taken care of pronto. I'm going to have a vinyl top installed. I'll get it painted after that.

Eventually a solid or hydraulic roller cam and a ZEX Perimeter plate nitrous kit.

I changed the gearing from 4.88's to 3.73's and the stall is now 3200 instead of 4000. A bit more street friendly. No more 3500rpms at 55mph. But boy did it wind up quick with the 4.88's

Last edited by Rokko; 02-21-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Dang Rick, that thing is a few parts & a pint job away from being a KILLER hot rod! I love old Shovels. Although it doesn't have an LS1, and it looks like someone stole your fan & fuel pump...
It's not that far away, just a **** load of small **** to do.

It will have an LSx someday. Preferrably an LS7 and a 4L80E.

4 wheel disks and a nice set of 17's is in it's future too. Next summer most likey for those upgrades.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Looking good Rick, but get it painted! First time I saw your car I thought it was just an old car until my eyes met the engine bay and said DAMN! Get it to the track this year man!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Glad to hear it going to finally get some love.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys, it will get a lot of TLC soon. Already started actually. Got bored and polished up the float bowls on the air/fuel mixer last night. I should've done a before and after pic but was too embarrassed to do so. It looked pretty bad.

The running gear is bullet proof, I can attest to that. I shift it at ~68-72 depending on my mood at the time and it loves, or loved to run up there. It might need a spring and cam change after sitting so long in a static state. Hello solid roller!! It just might get some paint this summer too. Nothing special, but enough to make it look decent and take care of some of the bad rust areas.

I just might sell all the formy mods I've gathered up in the last year and throw that moolah at the Shovel.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Damn rok that thing is gonna be a wicked cruiser with some paint and TT II's.

Nate
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice! I love the 'ol Hotrods!!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Just thinking about cruising in it gives me a smile. Whoooeeeee the memories in that car. I've had this baby for 25 years, got it when I was a Jr in High School. I do believe it's her time to shine. The body is really askin for attention so I need to get it running asap. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll be able to get out there and spend some time on it. This week looks promising.

Then I wanna plan a work party on it once I can pull it out of the garage for a decent day of work. Beer and Pizza on me of course.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rokko
Just thinking about cruising in it gives me a smile. Whoooeeeee the memories in that car. I've had this baby for 25 years, got it when I was a Jr in High School. I do believe it's her time to shine. The body is really askin for attention so I need to get it running asap. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll be able to get out there and spend some time on it. This week looks promising.

Then I wanna plan a work party on it once I can pull it out of the garage for a decent day of work. Beer and Pizza on me of course.
Awww...that makes it even better knowing you've had it that long..That's really awesome! It's kind of how I feel about the Scout we have parked out here. I would LOVE to get it going, just need to find a job and pay for it first

Quick Reply: Shovel pics.