Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone have success using toulene

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have success using toulene

I heard you can use this paint thinner as a mix with 91 to make 93 oct gas and its supposed to be completely safe. Anyone try it or know somoene who has?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried xylene before. it did allow me to run more boost. i was running it at a 30% mix. i ran about 50gallons of the stuff thru my truck and at that point both of my stock 02's went bad.

i have also ran a mix of race fuel and strait race fuel and meth and even meth with race fuel.

alcohol injection with strait meth spraying and pump gas works prety well. i was able to run 5psi more on pump gas with the meth and on my set up that is around 200 more rwhp still on pump gas. the meth is much cheaper than any other additive especialy since you go thru so little of it. a alcohol injection kit will quickly pay for itself.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Toluene is not necessarily "paint thinner" but it is one of the ingredients and you can buy it at a paint store. It is also one of many octane boosters added to automotive fuels at the refinery.

I worked with a guy named Ivan Cash at the ChevronTexaco Refinery in Pascagoula, MS. He was the Ford Lightning and Ford Turbo Diesel tuner for Runnin With the Devil Motorsports in Mobile, AL. His lightning ran mid 6's in the 8th and he always ran a 1 pintTol / 3 gal. Pump Gas mix in his truck on track days. He said the only potential problems for using Tol, was that high concentrations could kill catalyst activity on street cars...he never ran cats. He also never commented on the life expectancy of his O2 sensors either. But this was a lot cheaper than running aviation fuel (130 oct) blends (his other proven method for running higher boost levels with a supercharger.)

Bottom line: There are many ways to increase your engines tolerance for more boost; if you’re looking for something reliable, that doesn’t require guessing how much of “XX” to add to your tank, go with the Meth…it’s been proven safe and reliable. It’s kind of like nitrous I guess.

Last edited by Sixspeed02TA; 02-23-2006 at 02:37 PM. Reason: put in actual vol. ammounts
Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used Xylene before, which is similar...worked well for me as an alternative to race gas. It got really expensive in Cali due to the ****'s out here so I switched to race gas when I need it now.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

You name it xylene, toulene, Nitro etc. I have played with them all. Meth is just so much easier to come by and is alot cheaper. I would use alky injection personaly.

Quick Reply: Anyone have success using toulene